PDA

View Full Version : 26 Nosler Conversion

224TTH
09-02-2014, 11:22 PM
I've started gathering parts for the 26 Nosler. I'm not in a huge hurry, as I'm snagging parts as deals come along.
I'm starting with a Model 110 in a .243. It's a LA with the flat rear, but the price was more than a bargain. I'm currently on the hunt for:
LA stock - really like the Boyd Tacticool and price.
Mag Bolt head - found at Shooters Shack
Small Shank Lug - found at Shooters Shack
Mag Box and Follower - I will try to salvage the box I have, but have not had much luck with shimmed boxes
Flat Base - for rings
Barrel - I'm looking at a Shilen 28", but not dead set yet.
Trigger - it has the old 3 screw, I've had great luck tuning this style to 2#

Please review and recommend as you see fit. Just want to make sure I get this right.

Rosco
09-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Had thought about this build for a while myself, looks good so far, keep us updated. I wanna see how fast she goes!!

224TTH
09-07-2014, 09:45 PM
I hit a snag right off the bat. My 110 action (.243) was never milled out for a long action. Unlike a previous build where the mag box was shimmed and I just installed a long action mag box and follower. This one brought me to a halt. I went into town, found a 30-06 and swapped for $40 difference. I am super happy now. New action is round base and accu-trigger.

Also, found a 6.5 Krieger black locally. It is now at the gunsmith! I am taking him the action tomorrow.

tomme boy
09-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Better start looking for a new barrel now for that powder burner. Way too overbore.

scooterf79
09-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Can't wait to see your velocities, and accuracy. All looks good so far. Keep us posted
Scooter

scpaul
12-01-2014, 11:17 PM
I'm probably too late but you might try" Accurate-Mag" for bottom metal, trigger guard and mag. Mine also came with pillars and new action screws. I'm building a wildcat on a 300 Win.Mag. case. The whole kit including shipping cost me $230.00. I'm in S.C. and they are also on the east coast so your shipping might be different. There's a guy there named Mark (?) that was very helpful. Mine is a blind mag stock so hopefully it won't be too bad, it looks reasonably easy (famous last words!!) later, Paul

geargrinder
12-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Better start looking for a new barrel now for that powder burner. Way too overbore.

That's the best thing going for the 26 Nosler. Recognizing that barrels are a consumable. They are meant to be used and tossed.

Overbore are fun guns. You can't mess around with endless load development, bullet selection, or powder choices. Pick what works, chase the lands until it won't shoot.

bootsmcguire
12-02-2014, 01:03 AM
That's the best thing going for the 26 Nosler. Recognizing that barrels are a consumable. They are meant to be used and tossed.

Overbore are fun guns. You can't mess around with endless load development, bullet selection, or powder choices. Pick what works, chase the lands until it won't shoot.

The exact philosophy I have taken with my 6-WSM. Talk about overbore......

surfinsd
12-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Isn't that the beauty of our Savages? Use the barrel up and just spin another one on! Shoot I'm lucky if I get a couple hundred rounds through something before I'm already thinking about rebuilding it into something else!

geargrinder
12-02-2014, 01:12 AM
The exact philosophy I have taken with my 6-WSM. Talk about overbore......
You should punch it to a 24 Nosler. [emoji1]

I think I've also seen a 6mmRUM reamer print.

shovelheadave
12-02-2014, 06:54 AM
You should punch it to a 24 Nosler. [emoji1]

I think I've also seen a 6mmRUM reamer print.

Been waiting for the 26 Nosler topic to start showing up here but....oh my gosh.........24 Nosler.........that is exactly what I need. Dont get me wrong......26 has my attention for sure but....dang a 24 Nosler would be even better.

curlymaple42
12-02-2014, 08:34 AM
I got a crap load, like 1700+ 6.5mm 120gr bullets laying around. I want to do a bigger bore carbine for hunting first, but might do a 6.5mm too as the only 6.5 I have left is my girl's 6.5Grendel TC Encore...single shot... Lol!

scope eye
12-02-2014, 08:34 AM
It always cracks me up, when I hear talk about tossing the barrel when it is shot out, reseting or rethroating has been tried and trued, and is a new lease on life for a barrel every time, and runs about $100.00, I never wait until it is totally shot out I send it in before, so less of the barrel has to be loped off.

Dean

Jamie
12-02-2014, 01:24 PM
I purchased a 26 Nosler a couple weeks ago. Only have 20 rounds down it still doing break in so no real velocity or accuracy to report on yet. Guessing accuracy will be good as it is a Nosler rifle and they do guarantee MOA, so should shoot pretty good. If I get decent weather on a day off I will get some more rounds through it and do a thread on it.

......only 6.5 I have left is my girl's 6.5Grendel TC Encore...single shot... Lol!

Rifle or pistol?

curlymaple42
12-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Rifle. Started out as a pistol I bought from Arne Brennan. It was made by SSK. I had King Armory install a permanent muzzle brake on it to bring the AOL of the barrel to 17" I think and put the Youth walnut stock on it and a scope. I kind of freaked out after I got it all done too when someone somewhere mentioned overall rifle length legality. I ran downstairs with a tape measure and went PHEW!!!! when I realized it was legal length overall. HAHAHA! It is a handy little rifle I tell ya!