PDA

View Full Version : New Savage Accustock

Bigeclipse
09-02-2014, 11:20 AM
I remember when the older accustock was released (in 2010 I think)... had some issues so savage redesigned it to eliminate the "wedge" thing or something like that. Anyways, since the redesign, I am curious if today's accustock models still come with the smaller recoil lug? If so, I heard it could be a problem with magnum size calibers...is this true or just a myth? Do these models also come with the barrel nutt that does not have the notches for barrel removal with the barrel tool? I was considering a savage weather warrior until I read about all these things.

big honkin jeep
09-02-2014, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't sweat it at all. the barrel nut is easy enough to replace if you want the notched one. Just remove the old one with a pipe wrench and toss it.
Though I don't have a magnum version of an accustocked rifle, as far as the recoil lug goes, I wouldn't foresee a problem there either.
I do have accustocked rifles and I do have 116s just not accustocked 116s. The 116 is my favorite hunting rig and if I was in the market for a new rifle I would not hesitate to purchase a new one.
I like my accustocked rifles a lot and they are very stable and sturdy. Nothing wrong with the old synthetic stocked pillar bedded 116s either. Though a lot of guys worry about "stock flex" it has never been a problem for me in real world shooting conditions. Yes you can push the stock into the barrel by applying pressure with your hands, but when propped up on shooting bags or in the field against a tree or limb the old synthetics have always worked perfectly and shots have always been on the money.
The 116 is a darn good rifle and due to my experiences with them over the years I would recommend them to anyone.