PDA

View Full Version : please help....

killer.tactics
09-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Frustrating day at the range today....was shooting .5-.75 groups. Then cleaned and let cool (for cold bore) THEN my gun was shooting waaay off paper. About 20in away...checked the screws on scope and stock. I don't get what the hell happened?? Using superformance out of m10 predator max-1 with nikon prostaff 4-12x40

bootsmcguire
09-01-2014, 04:58 PM
How long since you last cleaned prior to this?

Is the scope a newer purchase, or a scope you have known and trust for a good while?

Were all the boxes of ammo you were using of the same lot number and same grain bullet?

killer.tactics
09-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Cleaned right after I shot it last. 3 weeks ago. Brand new scope with the brand new gun. Purchased both the same day. Shot fine prior to today. Yes,same ammo

jonbearman
09-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Change the scope to a known good one.

bootsmcguire
09-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Change the scope to a known good one.

+1. My first instinct as well. New or name brand does not always mean perfect. Broken things make it out of even the best quality factories.

olddav
09-01-2014, 08:56 PM
You stopped a little short, remove the scope and check the base as well. you will not be able to feel the movement if you leave the scope in place.

bootsmcguire
09-01-2014, 09:15 PM
You stopped a little short, remove the scope and check the base as well. you will not be able to feel the movement if you leave the scope in place.

Totally correct. And actually try to wiggle the bases with your fingers. Many times the screws that hold the bases (especially the front base) are too long and bottom out, so they feel tight with your screw driver but the base is still a little loose. If that is the case, carefully file the end of the screw until it is short enough.

killer.tactics
09-01-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm going to double check everything before I go with a new scope. I've never had a problem with Nikon.

Jared Duramax
09-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Did you remove the action from the stock? If you did then that is what the problem is.