PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage rifles!

Wyomingandy
08-30-2014, 04:00 AM
Hello All!
I'm new to the forum and looking to buy my first modern Savage rifle. I am a little lost on what to get however, I want a rifle that I could eventually upgrade with a McMillian Stock (or similar) and bottom metal that accepts a 10rd mag of some kind. I want to buy and build a short action 6.5 Creedmoor, would the Model 10 Trophy Hunter be a good rifle to start out with or should I purchase the Model 16 Weather Warrior with the Accustock? Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Thanks!
-Andy

6mmBR_Shooter
08-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Welcome Andy!

The accustock would likely still be something you would want to upgrade. The trophy hunters certainly sounds like it will fit your wants. Only you can determine if the Weather Warrior's Stainless Steel is worth the extra $100 or so to you.

Detachable Bottom Metal setups are available from Pacific Tool and Gauge as well as CDI.

GaCop
08-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Savages. The model 10 would be a good basis for your build. Cerro coat or Duracote the metal and it will be as weather proof as the stainless Model 16 Weather warrior.

Wyomingandy
08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Alright! Thanks a lot for the information guys!

drybean
08-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Welcome aboard

Rick_W
08-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Welcome

big honkin jeep
09-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Welcome,
Just My .02 but buy an accustocked model 16, some good bases, rings and glass and just shoot it. You probably wont need to upgrade anything unless your just looking for a way to occupy time and spend money.
Though it wont have a 10 round capacity from the factory they are some darn fine shooting rifles right out of the box. 1 round of centerfire rifle ammo will usually get the job done in most real world stateside scenarios anyway.
If you decide to try and make it more accurate, then do so by handloading and tuning a load to your rifle. That's where the biggest accuracy improvement will be made anyway. In my experience you should be able to get well under an inch and probably a lot closer to 1/2" with only a good load and no parts. No sense in throwing parts at a rifle that only needs a load.
Good luck and have fun.