PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bolt head not the same

Ozark Traveler
08-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Brand new to the forum and Savage. Picked up a used Model 10 in .243 and the ejector was seized up. Tried drilling it out, but I only succeeded in making a mess of the bolt head. Ordered a new head from The Gunshack but it's not exactly the same. The description said for models 10-16 and 243-308. The new one is the same size and matches the old one except the new doesn't have the notch cut away for the pin inside the bolt body. My question is, can I remove the pin from inside the bolt body to make the new one fit or do I have the wrong one? I searched for hours to find this one and I don't recall ever seeing a "notched" one listed. I have pictures I can post if needed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Grind off the "bump' and move on. No more worries if another will fit or not.

bootsmcguire
08-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Grind off the "bump' and move on. No more worries if another will fit or not.

+1. Done it to several. Grind the bump out with a dremel. Then no more worries.

Ozark Traveler
08-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys. I figured I could, but didn't want to take the chance without knowing for sure.

Ozark Traveler
08-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Got it! The dremel worked perfectly and only took a few minutes. Time to see how this thing shoots. To the range!

jonbearman
08-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Did you reset the headspace? Or at least check it with a gage?

bootsmcguire
08-30-2014, 01:14 PM
As jonbearman said, you must check your headspace whenever you change out a bolt head or bolt body. A slight tolerance difference can screw up the headspace. If it is different, then rest your headspace and you are good to go.