PDA

View Full Version : Building 6.5 Creedmoore, Need Help

Gone to Texas
08-27-2014, 05:45 PM
This is my first rifle build and I am putting together a 6.5 Creedmoore.

I want a stainless steel action and a stainless barrel. I originally thought I could build this off a savage 10 action but it does not come in stainless, only the savage 16 comes in stainless.

Can I still build off the savage 16 action? Is there a big difference between the Savage 10 and 16?

Thanks!

foxx
08-27-2014, 05:56 PM
SS is a 16. Blued is 10, 11 or 12. (in simple terms, a 16 can be identical to 10 or 11 or 12) the fact is one SS or blued is not a concern or an issue other than material you might desire.

They function the same. Most older ones are blind mag staggered feed, newer ones are typically center feed detachable mag or center feed blind mag. Older older ones are flat top, newer ones are round top. Older ones will have different action screw spacing depending on type of magazine.

All can be build off of.

Put another way, you can build off of a model 10 but the action will be blued rather than ss. It is very common to put SS barrel on a blued action. What you said is kinda like saying "I wanted to build a blue car but all the black cars come in black." :)

Gone to Texas
08-27-2014, 06:02 PM
SS is a 16. Blued is 10, 11 or 12. (in simple terms, a 16 can be identical to 10 or 11 or 12) the fact is one SS or blued is not a concern or an issue other than material you might desire.

They function the same. Most older ones are blind mag staggered feed, newer ones are typically center feed detachable mag or center feed blind mag. Older older ones are flat top, newer ones are round top. Older ones will have different action screw spacing depending on type of magazine.

All can be build off of.

Put another way, you can build off of a model 10 but the action will be blued rather than ss. It is very common to put SS barrel on a blued action. What you said is kinda like saying "I wanted to build a blue car but all the black cars come in black." :)

Got it, thank you for the response!

limige
08-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Yep I bought the 16. Only down side was they use the axis detachable mag which is plastic. Chinsy but does the job.

I put mine in a boyds stock

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/27/172025517dcb8ec0d701bf291e333a4b.jpg

Gone to Texas
08-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Yep I bought the 16. Only down side was they use the axis detachable mag which is plastic. Chinsy but does the job.

I put mine in a boyds stock

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/27/172025517dcb8ec0d701bf291e333a4b.jpg

Is there a way to get a metal magazine?

foxx
08-27-2014, 10:13 PM
You would need the bottom metal/magazine surround for a metal mag. That and the mag is about $150-200.

(The Axis style "plastic mag" is designed differently than the traditional 10/110 metal detachable box mag). They are avail thru Savage, but the cost is prohibitive, in my opinion, unless you already have the TH model and want to upgrade.

Another option is to buy a used action with the metal mag and just replace the trigger and barrel as you planned. Or, get a Hog Hunter and sell the barrel (they fetch a premium dollar) and just go blind mag. If you decide you really want the DBM, you can still get the bottom metal and mag.

or, just get the TH and keep the plastic mag. Personally, I dislike the plastic mag more than I like having a dbm. Limige likes a dbm enough to accept the plastic version even though I am sure he would prefer the metal one. It just isn't worth the cost of replacing at this point.

Finally, if you go used or Hog Hunter, you get a top bolt release. Most everyone agrees the top bolt release is superior and has more options for aftermarket triggers and stocks. Although stocks can be adapted to accept the bottom bolt release if you are willing to grind with a dremel or something similar. Some triggers work with both, but the best two, Rifle Basix Sav-2 and/or SSS Competition do not work with bottom bolt release.

foxx
08-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Having said all of the above, LIMIGE's is really cool and not all that expensive. :)

Gone to Texas
08-28-2014, 12:07 AM
You would need the bottom metal/magazine surround for a metal mag. That and the mag is about $150-200.

(The Axis style "plastic mag" is designed differently than the traditional 10/110 metal detachable box mag). They are avail thru Savage, but the cost is prohibitive, in my opinion, unless you already have the TH model and want to upgrade.

Another option is to buy a used action with the metal mag and just replace the trigger and barrel as you planned. Or, get a Hog Hunter and sell the barrel (they fetch a premium dollar) and just go blind mag. If you decide you really want the DBM, you can still get the bottom metal and mag.

or, just get the TH and keep the plastic mag. Personally, I dislike the plastic mag more than I like having a dbm. Limige likes a dbm enough to accept the plastic version even though I am sure he would prefer the metal one. It just isn't worth the cost of replacing at this point.

Finally, if you go used or Hog Hunter, you get a top bolt release. Most everyone agrees the top bolt release is superior and has more options for aftermarket triggers and stocks. Although stocks can be adapted to accept the bottom bolt release if you are willing to grind with a dremel or something similar. Some triggers work with both, but the best two, Rifle Basix Sav-2 and/or SSS Competition do not work with bottom bolt release.

Awesome information, thank you! I am not a fan of the plastic magazines either. I was in a gun store one time checking out a Savage Axis and I tried to put the magazine back in and the little clip thing on the end broke off. The guy behind the counter was not happy to say the least... I honestly did not put much pressure on it, the thing just broke right off.

I am fine with a the blind magazine, especially because this is for a hunting rig.

So what kind of action can I get with the top bolt release? Is it just the Hog Hunter?

foxx
08-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Well, any used long or short action with top bolt release, blind mag. Within that category there is stagger feed and center feed. Neither is better, but staggerfeed is older.

The Hog Hunter happens to be the only NEW offering from Savage in top bolt release, blind mag center feed. It is most affordable, around $415. You could sel the 20 inch varmint barrel for about $80 and your net cost is around $380 (considering shipping ad/or FFL fees) for a new top bolt release, center feed blind mag short action with Accutrigger.

Or you could get a used short action top bolt release, stagger feed or center feed with standard trigger (you're replacing it anyways) for around $300.

Either is the same quality and function. Once you have the action, you can shop for the stock that fits the action. At this point it is important to know whether it is stagger feed or center feed. THe screw spacing is your "tell." Offhand I don't remember what they are... it's listed here somewhere. I believe it is true (though I can't say for sure) that stagger feed stocks are more prevalent b/c they have been around longer. That is not necessarily true anymore. Shop for stocks, shop for actions. Make sure they match.

If you go long action, they are all the same, but there may not be a long action stock in your model choice.

Best advice I can give you is to become a paid member here and have access to technical articles that better explain and illustrate all of this. Also, you can buy and sell from the classifieds and get great deals. Think of it as a $15 per year magazine subscription to the best Savage Mag in the world. :)

foxx
08-28-2014, 12:55 AM
If you really want SS action, look at a target action. They have top bolt release ands uperior accutrigger. Ckeck with Jim At Northland Shooter Supply or Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply for those. THey are really nice, I've never had one.

foxx
08-28-2014, 01:06 AM
Oops, I was confusing you with some one else... you did not say you wanted to replace th trigger. It is not necessary, but many people do so. I have had good ad bad accutriggers. I like them for hunting (because of their safety feature and "feel" similar to a 2 stage trigger) Not so much for target.

limige
08-28-2014, 02:32 AM
I would say foxx has everything laid out pretty straight

I didn't realize savage was selling any top bolt releases any more. Definitely the better action.
But if you want SS your pretty limited.

Gone to Texas
08-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Oops, I was confusing you with some one else... you did not say you wanted to replace th trigger. It is not necessary, but many people do so. I have had good ad bad accutriggers. I like them for hunting (because of their safety feature and "feel" similar to a 2 stage trigger) Not so much for target.

Thats fine, I was thinking about replacing the trigger anyway. Thanks!

Also, calibers I can convert to 6.5 Creedmoor are .243 or .308 right?

LHitchcox
08-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Thats fine, I was thinking about replacing the trigger anyway. Thanks!

Also, calibers I can convert to 6.5 Creedmoor are .243 or .308 right?

You could convert almost any Savage 10/110 to Creedmoor, but the simplest is the short action with bolt head for .308 family of cartridges. That would include .243, .260, 7-08,.308, .338 Federal and so on.

Gone to Texas
08-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks! Just bought a used Savage model 16 in .308. It has the internal box magazine and top thumb release. I got really lucky!

foxx
08-29-2014, 04:13 PM
You're off to the races, then! Cool.

limige
08-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Nice post pics when you get her rolling