PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed in 10 fp-sr accuracy

bighurt
08-26-2014, 05:59 PM
I have a model 10fp-sr and am somewhat disappointed with the accuracy. I have ran around 200 rounds through it using 55 fmj cheap stuff but also 62 and 75 grain in hornady BTHP and winchester PSP and even with the good stuff the accuracy is only marginally better. I have used sand bags to shoot off of and to get a consistent grouping is just not there, 3 inch is not uncommon st 100yds and to be honest I expected more.I realize a lot of the time it is more Indian than arrow but I don't think this is the case.
I was just wondering if this is common or is the .5 moa out of the box just another gimmick. I have a Stagg model 6 ar that is a varmint set up and I can shoot .5 moa groups all day with it even shooting cheap 55 gr fmj. I know the Tupperware stock might be the culpret but I would like some info before I put a new stock on it or heaven forbid sell it and get one of those "other" brands.

foxx
08-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Yes, you should expect 1/2 inch with hand loads and 1 inch with premium factory loads. Normally my factory barrels settle down after about 80 shots. I then find I get my best groups after about 5-8 fouling shots after cleaning. I don't worry about copper fouling and only clean carbon, etc. after accuracy falls off around 60 to 100 firings.

You might want to double check that your scope mounts and rings are tight and your action screws are snug.

Digduggy
08-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Check all the screws... 39 in/lb... for me that was enough to bring it down to an inch lol

GaryBF
08-26-2014, 10:17 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?37277-savage-308-avg-grp

Tophatman45
10-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Just a thought but check your headspace/throat. I had a 10FPSR I'd picked up new last year, didn't really get around to shooting till this year. Mine's in 308 so not specifically apples to apples but the first time I tried to unchamber a FGGM 168gr I got a chamber full of powder. The throat/spacing was so short that the bullet was jammed hard enough in the lands that when I tried to unload it it pulled it from the case.

As it turns out my max oal for a FGMM 168 was 2.794 and that was in the lands.

With 168gr Amax's my max OAL was a bare 2.817.

As it happens I'd shot some FGGM before noticing and those were grouping 1.25 inches at 100 yards. My Amax's were more about 0.8" groups.

I sent the rifle back to Savage, on my dime because of some ridiculous issues with them sending me a shipping label but for $26 and change I got back a rifle that put 3 rounds of FGGM in a 0.22" group.

And 3 rounds of 178 amax's in a 0.39 MOA group at 200 yards. And that might get better, I've just started development on the 178's. I did bump them out to 2.82 OAL as a starting point, those have a max OAL of 2.858 so I have room to grow if I need it.

So that would be one thing to check, that you're not crunching your rounds in the lands or have no jump at all.

BoilerUP
10-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Savage 223s made in the last few years tend to have looooong freebore, whereas recent manufacture 308s have short freebore.

I had a "regular throat" 223 from about 10 years back that was a no-joke sub-half MOA shooter with 75gr HPBT and 24.0gr Varget, loaded to 2.285" COAL.

Have you been shooting Hornady Match or Steel Match ammo?

I would personally try a 50-55gr 223 V-Max factory load, Hornady 223 75gr Match or TAP load, and possibly Federal FGMM 223 Rem 69/77gr or Black Hills 69/77gr.

bighurt
10-07-2014, 11:25 AM
I contacted Savage and told them the problem and was surprised at the response. The rep asked did I have the box it came in or could I get one. When I told her no problem she said UPS would pick it up in 2 days from my home and take care of it. GREAT SERVICE. !!!! No questions just service and they checked it ,fired it and who knows what else and it was returned in about ,2 weeks and it is ON now. That is how customer service should work.

normmatzen
10-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear that!

I have two long range bench rest guns that I shoot seriously in NBRSA matches that both have Savage Precision Target Actions. I have NEVER had a problem with Savage! Just good stuff!
A lot of my peers in NBRSA give me a real bad time about Savages being good "Second Place" rifles in competition. I really LOVE beating those guys!!!