PDA

View Full Version : First Semi-Custom Build, Need Advice

Gone to Texas
08-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Howdy,

New here and this is my first post. I am starting to buy components for a semi-custom build that I have been wanting to do for awhile.

This will be my first rifle build ever. It is not exactly a budget build, but I can't afford to spend $2,000 dollars either. If I could be out the door with the rifle, scope, everything for around $1,500 I would be happy.

This will be a hunting rifle, and my goal is to just make a better shooter than a factory build.

Here is the set up I am thinking right now:

Action: Savage 10 donor action
Barrel: not sure, have looked at Shillen, Brux, and the cheaper option Apache
Stock: Also not sure, looked at McMillan and Manners
Trigger: Keep accutrigger
Scope: Depending on the money left over, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50

I could really cut some money if I go with an Apache barrel and a cheaper stock. Does anyone know of good stocks that are cheaper than McMillan and Manners but still good quality? Also, any advice on barrel choice? Again, this is not a competition rifle, just a hunting rig.

Thanks!

foxx
08-26-2014, 06:27 PM
For wood, I like Boyds. $109 without checkering is a good start in my book... then pillar and bed.
$50(?) more with checkering.

For hunting, I would DEFINATELY recommend Apache. He'll do you well. Put your money into the scope.

There's no reason you can't make a FINE hunter for under $1,000 or $1,500 with top of the line hunting scope. Depending upon where you hunt, I think 6.5x on low end is too much power. I like to keep mine at 3x or less and raise to 10 or more only if needed. My rationale is, if he's close, you need the low power, and QUICK! If he's 200-300 yards out (or more), you have plenty of time to crank it up.

D.ID
08-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Even if you want a high end barrel I would strongly recommend ordering a blank to have apache machine for you as it would still be faster, cheaper and in all likelihood better. He is working on my #2 right now so I am only commenting on a single barrel experience but............WOW= Fast turnaround, dirt cheap for the amount of work he did on our shillen blank...........it's shooting 1/2" at 435 yards......... Something was sure done right!
I like big scopes and I can't deny that, but I would hate to have to shoot anything closer than 300 yards because it would have to be rushed which is were things are most likely to get buggered up............scope selection would depend solely on "hunting" methods.

bootsmcguire
08-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Totally agree with foxx on all points. Go with Apache, his barrels just plain shoot. Don't let the price fool you, I have made great groups with mine.

mattri
08-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the site- tons of good information and great folks here. If we narrow down what you'll be doing with this build we may be able to help a little more.

"Hunting" is a pretty big word- what game/terrain/ranges are we talking?

Will you be carrying this rifle, shooting from a rest/prone at very long ranges?

Do you have a caliber in mind already?

Do you reload?

What is your hunting/loading/shooting skill level and experience?

Gone to Texas
08-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the site- tons of good information and great folks here. If we narrow down what you'll be doing with this build we may be able to help a little more.

"Hunting" is a pretty big word- what game/terrain/ranges are we talking?

Will you be carrying this rifle, shooting from a rest/prone at very long ranges?

Do you have a caliber in mind already?

Do you reload?

What is your hunting/loading/shooting skill level and experience?

Sorry about that, ment to throw all this info in there.

Making a 6.5 Creedmoore, typical shot will be 100 yards. Shooting from a rest in an elevated deer blind. Yes, I reload, been doing it about a year now for my .243.

I hunt down in Texas where we can have deer feeders, one is set up at 100 yards and I have another set up at 210 yards. I will just be carrying the rifle into my deer blind, that is it.

However, might do some kind of packing hunts down the road, but this is definitely not a mountain rifle.

The land I will be hunting is pretty open, just a high deer blind that over looks 80 acres. 50 of which are cleared out and planted with wheat. Been shooting for a couple years, my Remington .243 can print under an inch at 200 currently.

Gone to Texas
08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I have been told by a couple people to buy the stock first because Savages are tough to fit into an aftermarket stock. Is this true?

What stocks do y'all recommend?

mattri
08-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Tough to fit? I've put a few actions in a few different stocks and never had that problem.

For the kind of shooting you're describing I would recommend the Boyds Prairie Hunter. It is a great stock that fits well from a bench of off-hand, it balances well and shoots great. This rifle was built to shoot well of the bench and in the field and I couldn't be happier with it:

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab333/rritchie1027/download_zps5c68d64f.jpg (http://s877.photobucket.com/user/rritchie1027/media/download_zps5c68d64f.jpg.html)

As for optics- for the ranges you're describing I would very strongly advise against a high power scope. For medium to large size game a 10x mag is more than enough. A clear, accurate 10x can easily shoot MOA to 600 yards. From a hunting perspective that is more than adequate.

Also, if this is a hunting rifle more than a bench gun than simplicity is valuable.

This is the scope that I chose for a med-range hunter:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/178916/vortex-viper-pst-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-25-10x-44mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-illuminated-ebr-1-mrad-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Great scope with very little to go wrong. Clarity is amazing, excellent sight picture, useful reticle and nothing you don't need. The lack of a side focus etc. is just one less thing to go wrong- point and shoot to 600 yards all day long. Hunting in timber, can dial it down to 2.5, farther out 10x is great. Doesn't range on the lower mags but why would you need to, if you're shooting that far out you'll be on max x.

Gone to Texas
08-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Tough to fit? I've put a few actions in a few different stocks and never had that problem.

For the kind of shooting you're describing I would recommend the Boyds Prairie Hunter. It is a great stock that fits well from a bench of off-hand, it balances well and shoots great. This rifle was built to shoot well of the bench and in the field and I couldn't be happier with it:

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab333/rritchie1027/download_zps5c68d64f.jpg (http://s877.photobucket.com/user/rritchie1027/media/download_zps5c68d64f.jpg.html)

As for optics- for the ranges you're describing I would very strongly advise against a high power scope. For medium to large size game a 10x mag is more than enough. A clear, accurate 10x can easily shoot MOA to 600 yards. From a hunting perspective that is more than adequate.

Also, if this is a hunting rifle more than a bench gun than simplicity is valuable.

This is the scope that I chose for a med-range hunter:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/178916/vortex-viper-pst-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-25-10x-44mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-illuminated-ebr-1-mrad-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Great scope with very little to go wrong. Clarity is amazing, excellent sight picture, useful reticle and nothing you don't need. The lack of a side focus etc. is just one less thing to go wrong- point and shoot to 600 yards all day long. Hunting in timber, can dial it down to 2.5, farther out 10x is great. Doesn't range on the lower mags but why would you need to, if you're shooting that far out you'll be on max x.

Great advice! That scope is awesome also, definitely see you point. Your rig looks awesome and I will look into those stocks.

Thanks!

mattri
08-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Keep us posted on the build.