PDA

View Full Version : Stock and Receiver question

CAPTBEACH
08-25-2014, 05:51 PM
OK...building a shorty hunter...got the barrel back today cut at 16 5/8" but got a question about stock and receiver heights...should the stock ride flush with the ejection port side of the receiver? Right now my wood is riding about 1/16"- 3/32" above the sill of the receiver metal...should I flush this? I'm thinking I should wait until after I've glass bedded it before trimming this if I do...

BillPa
08-25-2014, 06:20 PM
got a question about stock and receiver heights...should the stock ride flush with the ejection port side of the receiver?

Yes.

When inletting or bedding a stock there are typically two things you use for the action alignment in both it's rotation and fore/aft position, the edge of the rail at the port/stock and the vent hole(s) in the ring.

Just as, if not more important, is the diameter of the action, it should never be set deeper into the bedding material more than it's max diameter otherwise you can create a mechanical lock, the cured bedding material will be above the action's max diameter.

Right now my wood is riding about 1/16"- 3/32" above the sill of the receiver metal.

I've already had to install jack screws in a stock inletted too deep to raise action to it's is correct height and or it's forward-aft alignment.

The rule of thumb, bedding is 75% preparation, 25% waiting for the goop to cure and the final cleanup.

Bill