PDA

View Full Version : 260 AI bullet seater

alphapygmy
08-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Any opinions on the accuracy difference between a Redding 260AI standard bullet seater and their competition seater? I've tried the Lee seater like some recommend but got anywhere from .001 to .012 run-out, averaging .008" and inconsistent seating depths. I bought a Forster benchrest seater in 260 but can't get anyone to ream it out to 260AI, no one wants a job that small. So I'm left with the regular Redding seater at 50 bucks or the comp seater at 150 bucks. The gun will be used for 600 local matches so accuracy and consistency are important. Thoughts?

Luke45
08-25-2014, 10:30 PM
You could Use a different plug in your lee seater.

Luke45
08-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Just make sure the tip of the bullet isn't bottomed out in the lee plug, example I use different plugs from different lee dies to make sure seating depth is off the ogive, not the bullet tip. Seems like it solves the problems that I was having that were similar to yours.

alphapygmy
08-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks, that was the first thing I checked for. Not bottomed out as far as I can tell. I think the slop in the die that allows the AI case to fit inside is also causing the problems I'm having. It would work fine for hunting but not for 600 competition. Guessing I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy the spendy seater. I'm toying with just buying myself a reamer and have the local machinist ream my die out. He's done several small jobs for me and then I'd own my own reamer for the next 260AI I build.

Luke45
08-26-2014, 12:40 PM
How good of groups are you lookin to shoot at 600? What bullet? Hollow points can vary in length a lot, my bergers vary at least 10-15 thousanths in length, they could all have same jump but be different lengths overall

Luke45
08-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Basically if the length of the cartridge varies the same as the bullets themselves vary you should have consistant jump even if OALs are different. If your bullets very in length, but the COAL is identical, then your jump is varying .

alphapygmy
08-26-2014, 01:48 PM
The measurement I'm using is from rim to ogive. I don't use COAL for that reason. I'd like to get a bearing length comparator some day to see how much that affects everything. The wife said go ahead and get the comp. seater. I plan on shooting the 260AI for a while so might as well have the good stuff. The rifle I shot in the 600 league this summer was my tactical/ long range hunting regular 260. I hoped to average 185/200 and ended up averaging 189 so I was happy with my scores considering the way my gun is set up and my inexperience in reading the wind. I'm hoping the 260AI will get me around 195ish because I'm setting it up specifically for the league. It's got a much heavier barrel, much more magnification and a better stock.

Luke45
08-26-2014, 03:01 PM
The measurement I'm using is from rim to ogive. I don't use COAL for that reason. I'd like to get a bearing length comparator some day to see how much that affects everything. The wife said go ahead and get the comp. seater. I plan on shooting the 260AI for a while so might as well have the good stuff. The rifle I shot in the 600 league this summer was my tactical/ long range hunting regular 260. I hoped to average 185/200 and ended up averaging 189 so I was happy with my scores considering the way my gun is set up and my inexperience in reading the wind. I'm hoping the 260AI will get me around 195ish because I'm setting it up specifically for the league. It's got a much heavier barrel, much more magnification and a better stock.

Ok sweet! Just makin sure you weren't selling the lee die short ;) that's what've use in my 22-250ai and 280ai.

260ai is an awesome caliber I'm jealous