PDA

View Full Version : barrel removal trouble...

Pages : 1 [2]

BrentWin
04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Outlaw,

Where are you located? Surely there is a member within driving distance of you with an action wrench and the willingness to show you how its done.

Kawabuggy
04-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I learned this trick on this web site-but no one else has posted it as of yet. I got a spare bolt head. I welded that bolt head onto the end of a 10" long 1/2" extension.

Now, I simply slide the modified tool into the rails until they engage the tangs in the action. I put a breaker bar on the end of the extension and lay the action with wrench inserted on the floor. Stand on the arm of the ratchet, now with your barrel nut wrench in place, simply use your other foot to stomp down on the barrel nut wrench. Of course you want to make sure that you are turning the nut the correct direction. This works. Even on the blued barrels. I have yet to meet one that I can't take apart with a single authoritative stomp on the barrel nut wrench. Of course if will take someone with a welder, and a spare bolt head, and a sacrificial extension to get it all together. If you would like, I will mail you my modified tool for use-as long as you promise to return it!!!!!

mytwo60
04-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Don't try to turn it but instead whack the crap out of it with a hammer. I just removed my new Stevens barrel with several blows and it came off w/o a problem. I even had it on super tight in a solid oak vise and it still turned a bit. It took me about 5 minutes to remove the barrel. ;D

yorketransport
04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
When all else fails, it's time for a pipe wrench on the barrel. But only as a last resort.

Andrew

drybean
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
if you are near me would be glad to remove for you
drybean

BillPa
04-15-2010, 12:32 AM
I learned this trick on this web site-but no one else has posted it as of yet.

Yeah I did, many times...

http://i39.tinypic.com/xkrtbl.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hz7sli.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/ruqtl3.jpg

I originally made it about 20 years ago for my Rem switch barrel guns, but I don't use it to pull factory installed barrels. I save that job for the clamp on action wrench.

Bill

BobT
04-15-2010, 09:48 AM
You can buy an action wrench from Midway for around $50.00, use it, then stick it in the classifieds and get most of your money back if you don't want to eat the whole cost. I have seen a few nuts ruined from pipe wrenches and from hammering on the nut wrench. I use either the wheeler action wrench or a home made inline, the factory jobs get the Wheeler and a liberal dose of Kroil. I never hammer on the nut wrench but instead I hit the action wrench, I have a 4 pound brass hammer I made for this and it takes one whack even on the toughest barrels.

Bob

Kawabuggy
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Bill, glad you pitched in with the pics. When I said I did not see it posted-I meant WITHIN this post! I was not trying to steal your thunder. I actually copied your idea! It works well-thanks!