PDA

View Full Version : Load testing with high power optics - then switch back to hunting optics?

xsskeet
08-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Just curious if any of you use a high power scope, say 24X for load development and testing.

Seems to me that you get a more precise site picture, so that would reduce errors in load development.

After deciding on the load, switch back to your standard hunting optics like a 3X9 etc...

Thoughts?

Bill

bootsmcguire
08-24-2014, 09:47 PM
I have done that in a few cases. Has worked for me, but I guess it depends on how tight you want your groups to be. Also it can be good training before the hunting season to familiarize yourself with the scope you will be using so pros and cons both ways.

justdave
08-24-2014, 10:13 PM
I move an NXS 8-32 from rifle to rifle when doing load development. I trust it and, with the rifle in a good rest,all feedback is just data on the load. I also use picatinny rails exclusively so, I leave the rings on the scope and it is always level. Also, when it returns to its home rifle, it requires little or no adjustment to return to zero.

D.ID
08-25-2014, 12:04 AM
I tried that once.
The only problem was once I see what it can do with a good 6-24x50...................I can't stand the 3-9x40 going back on.
Now all my hunting rifles get high powered optics and keep them. I just can't go back, so be careful or you could get hooked..

bootsmcguire
08-25-2014, 12:10 AM
I tried that once.
The only problem was once I see what it can do with a good 6-24x50...................I can't stand the 3-9x40 going back on.
Now all my hunting rifles get high powered optics and keep them. I just can't go back, so be careful or you could get hooked..

D.ID, I did that too at first, thought I needed it. On paper and pdogs I like my higher powered optics, but when hunting deer and coyotes I found it over time to be more of a pain than a benefit. I find that the 4-12x or even 4-16x seem to give me the nice balance I prefer to cover the main spectrum for deer sized game and even coyotes.

Luke45
08-25-2014, 02:25 AM
Not quite sure why but at close range I shoot worse groups with high magnification, say higher than 16x at 100 yards Just makes me feel jumpy seeing the bull that big, and seems harder to keep steasy

justdave
08-25-2014, 07:35 AM
The "home gun" for the 8-32 is my prairie dog gun, the others wear something in the 3-15 area. Weight and field of view are factors to consider on hunting rigs.

scope eye
08-25-2014, 07:56 AM
What I do and seems to work great is, I crank up the power to max which is 32X and hold it for a little while, then back down to 20X and it stops the wandering.

Dean

bootsmcguire
08-25-2014, 08:34 PM
My issue with 32-40x optics is I make a group and I am cussing myself for such a bad group, then I walk down and see that the group was 1/3 as big as what it looked like in the scope. ;)

sixonetonoffun
08-26-2014, 12:29 AM
I made a perfect 1" box sighting a new load for my 223 using 18x mistook a 1/2" mark for a 1" mark my shooting buddy just laughed. I'm guessing he figured out what I was doing before I did.