PDA

View Full Version : Barrel cleaning

basshawg42
08-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Do you guys oil your barrels after cleaning or do you shoot it dry

BillPa
08-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Do you guys oil your barrels after cleaning or do you shoot it dry

I'll run a patch though the bore and mop the chamber with Break-Free. Before shooting them I patch out the bore and mop the chamber with denatured alcohol then run a patch or two with Lock-Ease through the bore only, nothing in the chamber.

Bill

Fenrir
08-24-2014, 09:48 PM
From a target shooting standpoint, I leave oil in my bores after cleaning but I remove it prior to shooting. For several years I cleaned my bores and then left a thin film of Kroil or Hoppe’s #9 in them for corrosion protection. I have since discovered EEZOX, a synthetic oil, and use it exclusively after bore cleaning. It is an excellent rust preventative. I leave a thin film in the bore during storage and then remove it by running a dry patch or two down the bore prior to shooting. So I effectively shoot my barrels “dry”. All of these chemicals are very thin and chances are you will not cause any damage if you fire a shot down a bore containing a film of it, I have forgotten to remove it on several occasions without suffering any damage. I have also found that the first shot out of a clean and dry barrel will stand a better chance of going into the group than will a shot fired through a clean and oily barrel.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae7/youbechya/Maintenance/bore015_zps6fa99fa5.jpg

justdave
08-24-2014, 10:36 PM
I shoot 10 foulers immediately after cleaning. I only oil the bore for long term storage (more than 8-10 months.) Everyone has a method they're most comfortable with, if your method works for you, go with it. You can't care for your guns or your kids too much.

Rooster 50
08-25-2014, 09:05 AM
I live in a very dry climate so I don't worry much about rust. Because of this I shoot em dry

pisgah
08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
I store them lightly oiled, but patch them dry and fire a fouler or 2 prior to beginning the hunting season. If I happen to be out on a rainy day, a bit of electrical tape from a partial roll I carry in my daypack gets stuck over the muzzle for protection.

scooterf79
08-25-2014, 04:50 PM
After cleaning I put a very light coat in the bore, then wipe it out before I shoot it with a couple of patches. That way if I dont get to shoot for a while my barrel is protected and if I get to shoot soon, its no problem to wipe it out.
Scooter

seanhagerty
08-25-2014, 08:19 PM
I dont clean my barrel often. It shoots fine. I use a stainless steel barrel, so I am not worried about rust. I figure why clean it, because I am just going to have to foul it again.