PDA

View Full Version : Do you need two reamers to chamber a new barrel ??

Pastprime
08-24-2014, 03:49 PM
I see the term "finish reamer" in a lot of ads for reamers, and I've seen some advertised as "rough reamers" so do you really need both?
Do some calibers require rough and finished or can the finish reamer do the whole job?

Hank

scope eye
08-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Hey Hank, what that is referring to is, you use a "Rough" reamer to remove 90% of the metal of the chamber, and then you use the "Finish" to complete the job, what that does is spare the finish reamer from cutting all that metal, so it keeps is sharp and true.

Dean

bootsmcguire
08-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Hey Hank, what that is referring to is, you use a "Rough" reamer to remove 90% of the metal of the chamber, and then you use the "Finish" to complete the job, what that does is spare the finish reamer from cutting all that metal, so it keeps is sharp and true.

Dean

Although most smiths I have worked with do not bother with the roughing reamers unless they are going to do a large run of barrels in the same chamber.

Pastprime
08-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the information. I'll probably end up buying a reamer for this project: a 6x45 using a Benchmark barrel. Good to know I only need to get one.....:cool:.