PDA

View Full Version : receiver moves on a re-barrel

dieselten
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Is it normal that the receiver moves with final tightening of the barrel nut?

I get the headspace I want, barrel in the vice (no movement), snug up the nut as much as i can by hand, give it a little pull with the wrench to make sure nothing has moved, then when I either pull it harder or hit it with a hammer (medium hit) the receiver turns with the nut and opens up the head space.

RWO
04-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Degrease the barrel threads and receiver threads. Put a thin smear of lube on the barrel nut face, on the section of barrel threads engaged by the nut, and the front of the lug. Tighten the nut as usual.

RWO

BillPa
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Is it normal that the receiver moves with final tightening of the barrel nut?

I get the headspace I want, barrel in the vice (no movement), snug up the nut as much as i can by hand, give it a little pull with the wrench to make sure nothing has moved, then when I either pull it harder or hit it with a hammer (medium hit) the receiver turns with the nut and opens up the head space.

"I either pull it harder or hit it with a hammer" ;D

The headspace will increase a little when the threads are tensioned, usually .001" -.002" depending. When I install a barrel after bottoming it on the gage or case I'll just barely snug the nut just enough to tensions the threads a bit, but still able to rotate the barrel or action. That way I can make any small corrections is need be. After I have things where I want them I'll finish tightening the nut. How tight? A "grunt to a grunt and a half" ;D . Seriously, I don't know how tight I make them, but if I were to take a wild guess maybe 30-35 ft/lbs.

But, thats the advantage of having nuts. ( on rifle barrels). If you don't like what'cha got just redo it.

Bill

dieselten
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks RWO, that's what I will do on the next one. BillPA when I "hit it" I have actually hit someone harder while playing "slug bug" so I am probably close to your 30 ft-lbs.

Thanks guys

GUNFANATIC
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
I simply tighten everything down with the Go-gauge in the chamber. When all tight, I remover the Go and try the No-Go.

pdog06
04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
If you use an action wrench the action will not turn, unless you want it to.

When I was using barrel blocks I use to have the same trouble. Either that or the barrel spinning in the blocks and marking up the barrel. I switched to an action wrench and immediately threw away the barrel blocks. Now I dont even use a vise at all, and can do all my barrel swaps with just laying it on my bench. Have never looked back since.

Best $50 I ever spent, except for the RCBS brass prep station...My hands still thank me for that purchase...LOL

Idahojoe
04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
When I reassembled mine someone said to put a little anti-seize on thr threads, both sides of recoil lug and back of nut. It worked great, torqed to 40lbs.

BillPa
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
When I reassembled mine someone said to put a little anti-seize on thr threads, both sides of recoil lug and back of nut. It worked great, torqed to 40lbs.

Yeah its best to put something on if only to lubricate the mating surfaces. I use Break-Free not only to help things go together, but also for protection from rust. And you don't need to glob the stuff on, just a light wetting will suffice.

Another thing I might add, while the barrel if off give the the threads, both the barrel and receiver a good cleaning before reassembly. Its also a good time to clean the lug abutments and recesses.

Bill

davemuzz
04-08-2010, 05:24 AM
Ya know......if you still are having any difficulties, just go right over to BillPa's house and he can show you first hand what to do. In addition, I've heard that Bill just loves to "share" his beer with folks. So.....plan on spending a lot of time at his place when you go.

And.....ummmm...bring a lot of Savage "things that need done" 'cause Bill has the know-how, and lot's of beer. And Bill is just the kind of guy who likes to share his Savage knowledge......and even more so......his beer!

Yeah......I've heard that.

Dave 8)

BillPa
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Ya know......if you still are having any difficulties, just go right over to BillPa's house and he can show you first hand what to do. In addition, I've heard that Bill just loves to "share" his beer with folks. So.....plan on spending a lot of time at his place when you go.

And.....ummmm...bring a lot of Savage "things that need done" 'cause Bill has the know-how, and lot's of beer. And Bill is just the kind of guy who likes to share his Savage knowledge......and even more so......his beer!

Yeah......I've heard that.

Dave 8)

Ya all heared wrong there Davy. I ain't free, but I sure are reasonable! My fees are in line with most others.

1. Remove factory installed barrels - one six pack. If you help, 2 six packs!
2. Answers to questions - 1 beer each. Correct answers - 2 beers each.
3. Tune an action - 1 case. If you help - 2 cases.
4. Repairs to "fixed" guns - 1 six pack/hr plus parts.
5. Rebarreling -1 six pack. ( Includes wear and tear on tools, cuss words)
6. Bedding - 1 case
7. Bedding correctly 2 cases.
8. Rebedding (includes removal of previously used black roof patch for bedding material ) 5 cases.
9. Advise to send the club to Fred (SSS) to have all the above done correctly - FREE!

Bill

Blue Avenger
04-08-2010, 09:35 AM
new scale has- dumb looks at 1 beer, answers 2 beers and correct answers at 4 beers

davemuzz
04-08-2010, 11:37 AM
;D Well.....I knew beer was involved. I was just lobbing for the free part! ;D ;D ;D

Dave

sharpshooter
04-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Beer is just for the basic work, there is a schedule for the advanced work which starts with Captain Morgan, Cutty Sark and Maker's Mark. ;D

04-08-2010, 11:37 PM
So after how many 4 beer "correct" answers should a person start to get a little leary about how "correct" the answers are going to be? ;)

BillPa
04-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Beer is just for the basic work, there is a schedule for the advanced work which starts with Captain Morgan, Cutty Sark and Maker's Mark. ;D

Nope Ferd.....swore off that "advanced" stuff many years ago. I got into some of my bestest trouble with that Morgan guy. His buddy Seagram wasn't much help either!

Get'n back on topic ( fat chance of that happen'n ;D) I said headspace increases a tad when you tension the threads, but I had one head scratcher that tightened up. After about a dozen beers tries I grabbed a new flat lug, things went together like they should'a outta then.

Ain't quite fingered that'n out yet.

davemuzz
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
So after how many 4 beer "correct" answers should a person start to get a little leary about how "correct" the answers are going to be? ;)

Well....It's a lot like quantum physics. If you double the 4 the answer is twice as correct and the leary part is cut by one-half squared. Now, if you then double it by....say an 8 beer answer, the answer is "dead nutz on", but the "leary factor" has now decreased by one-half squared/8, then take this answer and attempt to critically analyze it.....but realize that after this many beers, you will still have a "leary factor"...it will just be unmeasurable.

Dave