PDA

View Full Version : Boyds claro xx walnut stocks are junk

Nick6.5
08-22-2014, 04:52 PM
I have never once taken the time or the effort to go online to complain about a product but this is worth it. Just purchased a stock from boyds for a rifle, decided I wanted the highest grade claro xx walnut that boyds offered. Boy did I get screwed. The stock and fore grip are nice by an average stocks standard, but surely not worth the $300 I spent on them. I have a remington 870 with nicer looking furniture on it and that whole shotgun was the same cost as I just paid boyds. Since they consider the "high grade claro walnut" to be a custom order, I cannot return it. So, in short, BUYER BEWARE! The claro walnut does not look any better than your average stock on any $300 rifle. Basic, boring wood grain, and the fore grip does not match the butt stock. I will never buy anything from boyds again, and I recommend you do the same.

zippyhuntin
08-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Pics?

wbm
08-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Have always had great products and service from Boyd's. I would give them a call for sure. Even if it isn't returnable I would inform them.

limige
08-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Pics?

foxx
08-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Boyds only started offering higher grades of walnut a few(?) months ago.

I bought one in standard grade just before the x and xx were available and it's decent, certainly worth the $109 I paid for it. I have a couple laminate thumbholes and a few Tacticools. Very satisfied with all of them.

I, too, would encourage you to give them a call. There's always the possibility they made a mistake. Of course, there's also the reality that grading is purely subjective. Regardless, give 'em a chance. :)

Rooster 50
08-25-2014, 09:13 AM
I take it this is for a shotgun since you say the forend does not match the buttstock. It' has been my experience that this is the case more often than not. However I can see where you would be upset. Be aware though that in the world of high end stocks $300 for a well inletted stock is still a pretty good price even if the figure is minimal. I also would like to see some pictures

SFLEFTY
08-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I think you will find they still Warranty those stocks to be what you expected even if it has custom features. What would be "worth it" is to tell Them first, not us. My XX stock from them is pretty nice. I'm definitely still a customer, and yes, I've seen high grade stocks many times in my day.

Savage6x284
08-28-2014, 05:10 PM
As stated already Boyd's needs to be informed.

That said, Boyds simply would not be on my radar if I were looking for high grade wood. Heck Boyds has never even been a distant option for me while looking for any stock. I can get low priced, mundane quality stocks from the factory if that was what I wanted.

foxx
08-28-2014, 05:15 PM
As stated already Boyd's needs to be informed.

That said, Boyds simply would not be on my radar if I were looking for high grade wood. Heck Boyds has never even been a distant option for me while looking for any stock. I can get low priced, mundane quality stocks from the factory if that was what I wanted.

Ah, come on, Savage. They're better than factory composites!

It's true they don't pretend to be top-end stocks. They are what they are. I like 'em. :)

Savage6x284
08-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Ah, come on, Savage. They're better than factory composites!

It's true they don't pretend to be top-end stocks. They are what they are. I like 'em. :)

They do, I will admit, fill a niche and many Savage owners tend to be a bit on the frugal side.
That said, although the factory IM plastic is a pretty sorry example of a stock my guess is that it is a lot lighter than the 45 ounces quoted for many of the Boyds offerings.

To pick nits I'll say that I consider the descriptor "composite" to mean a stocks composed of two or more materials. Kevlar and a fill material for instance.
I use IM (injection molded) plastic or merely IM to describe stock such as the factory Savage stock.

In the end it's merely semantics though as all of us knows exactly what you mean when you say factory composite.

foxx
08-29-2014, 11:35 AM
LOL I was trying to be nice. :)

I don't know composite from shinola. First time I ever used the term, actually. It's cheap. It flexes and it's not my choice for stocks, for sure. :)

Carvera
08-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Nick6.5,

So what happened?