PDA

View Full Version : Factory model 111

flatshooter
08-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Hey Guys,
the best I can get out my 111 is an inch at 100 yards.

Just wondering without any enhancements to the rifle... I only loaded one or two loads to max but didn't print under an inch but once or twice. I know for a fact that I can eliminate me as error. I have a Weatherby Vanguard 300 weatherby and shoots awesome. The caliber the 111 is 270 WCF. I typically load the 130 grain.. lastly the Barnes TTSX. Is there a powder/bullet combo that shines from the rest? I heard the Nosler BT are really good, other brands are good, but I always heard good things about the BT.

Thanks in advance...

wbm
08-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Reloader 22 is a very good powder to work with in the 270. In the Sierra V reloading manual, they used a Savage 116 with a 26" barrel for their testing. Their "Accuracy Load" for their 130gr bullets was with 56.7gr of Reloader 22 at 3000fps and their "Hunting Load" was 58.2 at 3100fps. Using Sierra bullets from 130-150gr Reloader 22 was by far the best powder of all those tested.

teebirdhyzer
08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
I have had really good luck with the 130 grain Nosler BT in my .270's. H4350 is a good powder for it, but I have had some incredible results with RL17. You can load it with the 110 grain TTSX Barnes bullets and turn the .270 into a sure enough "Magnum" rifle. 3400 fps + and the 110 Barnes act bigger than they are. Oh yea, accuracy is not too bad either. You are getting 1" at 100yds from an inexpensive factory rifle. That is still really good and will kill anything you shoot at bigger than a grasshopper out to as far as the .270 will kill. If you keep tinkering with bullets and loads, you will probably hit one that will do better but if you are chasing little groups, you may want to switch gears to a more dedicated paper punching target rifle. I used to spend countless time and resources chasing one hole groups with my hunting guns, and realized that that animal doesn't really care if I can shoot an inch or 1 holer at 100yds. Plus, when that heart gets to pumping, I can't hold better than moa anyway, so it doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong....I still want my guns to shoot as tight as they can and I still develop loads for that purpose, but I dont' obsess over it like I used to. good luck with yours!!

flatshooter
08-22-2014, 09:37 PM
I hear ya.. not looking for more than it can do but was wonderng if I'm missing something, thats all. Haven't used anything slower than W780, and thought if I used something slower would help. Probobly not. Would like to load something hot with less recoil, 780 does well, and have 7828 to see if this slower buring powder helps even more.