PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Work

Marine24
08-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I need to replace the front short action baffle with a long action version to address feeding issues. Videos/instructions I've looked at on bolt disassembly/reassembly are pretty straightforward, but while I'm in there, figured I'd see if that are other improvements that are recommended.

Rifle's performance, outside of feeding from AI magazines, hasn't been an issue but always open to improvements.

Bolt handle is an obvious choice and looking at Glade's Armory plus will inspect each part to see if there is any wear, but if it isn't broke...etc. Bolt head is a possibility depending on condition.

I know there are aesthetic options like the spiraled bolt body, but mainly looking for reliability improvements.

Any recommendations?

earl39
08-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Unless you have the long-eared baffle for the 223 family the standard short action and long action baffles are the same.

Marine24
08-20-2014, 03:29 PM
I do have the long eared baffle. Flipping it to the long action seems the quickest way to correct the feeding problems instead of cutting down the "ear"

bootsmcguire
08-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Marine24, not all short action baffles have the "ear" or dogleg on them. Only the ones for the 223 or 204 regardless of action length (Savage used to make 223's on the long action and they too used the baffle with the ear). The ones without the ear are the same whether on a long action or short action.

You could just file off the lip on the ear's long edge and rotate the baffle so the ear is on the inside of the action and then you can run it either way simply by pulling the bolt out of the action and spinning the baffle to one side or the other.

Marine24
08-22-2014, 11:42 PM
I tried to find on of the standard SA baffles but Brownells didn't have one. Ended up ordering the LA version, which I received today. I'll swap the baffles tomorrow and see how it does. Appreciate everyone's help. Saved me a trip to the gunsmith for a relatively easy fix.