PDA

View Full Version : Questions about customizing the 111

bbiljah
08-19-2014, 10:38 AM
I have a savage (duh) 111 in the .270 I'm looking for customization but there hard to find for this gun, would like a different bolt, maybe a stock or what not. I cant find crap... even thought about a paint job on it for hunting. So I came to the experts lol

jonbearman
08-19-2014, 10:59 AM
PTG Bolt,boyds stock,shilen,mcgowen,or whatever barrel,heavy recoil lug from Jim At northland shooters supply etc etc .

darkker
08-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Brownells, midway,etc

bbiljah
08-19-2014, 11:46 AM
I like the boyds! I might pass on the bolt, I didn't realize there so expensive lol

bbiljah
08-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Well turns out I cannot use boyds, Clearly says "ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: This stock is designed for the Savage detachable box magazine rifle with top bolt release. The magazine release is located on the bottom of the floorplate. Not designed for old style side magazine release. " ​ Which is what I have... =/

foxx
08-19-2014, 01:44 PM
If you already hve a wood stock, Numrich has replacement walnut stocks for this variation of DBM (side0of0stock release button). If you have a plastic stock, and wish to use the afore-mentioned walnut stock, then you will need metal surround/frame for the magazine port. That part may also be available from Numrich.

I have done a few of these recently, though finding the parts on their website is a major PITA! :)

Other than that, I am not aware of any other options for this particular model, retaining the DBM feature.

If you are looking for something more tactical or maybe thumbhole, you could also ditch the DBM feature and make it a blind mag. Once that's done, you'll have lots of options. Nearly all the Boyds stocks are avail in blind mag, for example.

bbiljah
08-19-2014, 09:32 PM
What is a blind mag? Like a said I'm new to rifles lol. I do love the thumb hole stocks but I don't want to jump into a build project if I need crazy parts cause I have no idea what to look for lo

bbiljah
08-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Just put this bipod on. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/19/e9b29fedadcd6dd04db82f3d490943c3.jpg

bootsmcguire
08-19-2014, 09:42 PM
To convert to blind mag you just need to pop off the magazine box that is attached to the action that you have now, and pop on a blind mag body, insert the blind mag follower and drop into a stock for the blind mag. These shouldn't be too hard to find, they are some of the most common parts for that type of rifle. You want the ones for the 270 or 30-06 sizes and for Staggerfeed type magazines.

I would suggest becoming a paid member here, that will get you access to the articles and Savage FAQ section both of which have a bunch of info and step by steps on customizing your Savage rifle. Also has a bunch of good info on part interchanges.

foxx
08-19-2014, 11:24 PM
What Boots said.

Also, just to answer your question about "blind mag": A blind mag is an internal, top-feeding magazine. It is not detachable. It is called "blind" because it is not seen. It is hidden inside the stock. To empty the mag, you must work the bolt repeatedly until all the cartridges are extracted.

bbiljah
08-19-2014, 11:42 PM
But I like having a mag :( lol

foxx
08-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Then look at Numrich for wood replacement stocks as I said above. I really don't think there are alternatives.

Or paint it or Duracoat it.

bbiljah
08-21-2014, 09:18 AM
I think I might paint it for now, practice some designs and tech before actually painting it.

foxx
08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
I've read/heard it is good to rub down with acetone a few times before painting. Can't hurt.

I've also had good luck using sand paper to rub-out the mold marks along the top and bottom of the stock. Scrubbing/sanding it down good makes for a more finished looking stock.

bbiljah
08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
I've heard these pointers too, doesn't hurt to beat it into your head so you don't forget other wise it will look like rubbish / wont last. I think after saving for school I'll with buy a different one or try to customize this one.

Tex_Hunter
09-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Buy you stock direct from Boyd's took me 15 seconds to find one for a m111 dbm with bottom bolt release http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=55487&cat=1222 you're welcome.
Heres some free advice, skip the paint, and other doodads and just buy 100-200 worth of ammo and hit the range. The coolest accessory for a rifle is being able to shoot tiny groups and put the animal on the ground no matter how difficult the shot.
There is no free lunch with rifles, if you want a custom shop quality paint job you will have to pay someone at custom shop to paint it for you unless you happen to work in a body shop or something this is going to turn out looking like a hack tried to paint it with spray paint, no way around that.

So again, ditch the plastic stock, buy that one I linked from Boyd's, and then spend your money on ammo and range time. If you still have money burning a whole in your wallet invest it into the best scope you can afford. Vortex scopes are good especially their hs-lr hs-t and pst in whatever magnification suits your fancy.

Don't paint your rifle... For the love of god, duracoat = ricer honda

Bigeclipse
09-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I have a savage (duh) 111 in the .270 I'm looking for customization but there hard to find for this gun, would like a different bolt, maybe a stock or what not. I cant find crap... even thought about a paint job on it for hunting. So I came to the experts lol

Check out stockys stocks website. They have a nice "stock finder" tool where you plug in your type savage rifle and it pulls out stocks that can work for it. Depending on your budget the sky is the limit with these savage rifles. Now mind you...unless you get a stock with a built in aluminum bedding block, you will want to get it bedded by a gunsmith. Even with the aluminum bedding block...a full bedding job is suggested for ultimate accuracy. You can buy new bolt handles for about 50 bucks, which can ad to the look of the rifle if that is what you are after. You can change caliber pretty easily with savages as well. You can switch to any long action caliber...such as 3006 with a simply barrel swap. If you buy a new bolt face and recoil lug swap, you can even go to magnum calibers such as 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag.

foxx
09-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Buy you stock direct from Boyd's took me 15 seconds to find one for a m111 dbm with bottom bolt release http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=55487&cat=1222 you're welcome.
Heres some free advice, skip the paint, and other doodads and just buy 100-200 worth of ammo and hit the range. The coolest accessory for a rifle is being able to shoot tiny groups and put the animal on the ground no matter how difficult the shot.
There is no free lunch with rifles, if you want a custom shop quality paint job you will have to pay someone at custom shop to paint it for you unless you happen to work in a body shop or something this is going to turn out looking like a hack tried to paint it with spray paint, no way around that.

So again, ditch the plastic stock, buy that one I linked from Boyd's, and then spend your money on ammo and range time. If you still have money burning a whole in your wallet invest it into the best scope you can afford. Vortex scopes are good especially their hs-lr hs-t and pst in whatever magnification suits your fancy.

Don't paint your rifle... For the love of god, duracoat = ricer honda

Older style DBM with the mag release button in the side of the stock require a specific type of stock NOT available from Boyds or anyone else UNLESS you choose to abandon the DBM and convert it to BLIND mag. The one highlighted by Tex is NOT the correct stock for your rifle. Be careful to note what specifically you are looking for. Some models have top or side BOLT release, most new models have bottom or trigger guard BOLT release. Nether of these topics address the issue of the side MAGAZINE release button of the old style detachable box magazine (DBM). I originally directed the OP to NUMRICH as a source for an original factory stock because his model DBM is the old style SIDE BUTTON DBM. As far as I know, NO aftermarket stock makers offer stocks for this model. I point this out for the benefit of anyone who may not be aware of the differences between OLD STYLE DBM and CURRENT style DBM.

Also, you can decide for yourself if you would like to paint or duracoat your stock rather than buy a different, but original factory stock. There are quite a few options available to the hobbyist including Duracoat and Krylon or Rustoleum. They each offer their own advantages including ease of application, wear quality and cost. There are many good examples of other people's projects here and elsewhere. It's your rifle, have fun with it.