View Full Version : Primary Arms 4-14 Review

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

shooterfpga
09-15-2014, 08:36 PM
I walked into the store front to handle it and they are currently sold out.
If you talked to em down there they sometimes are willing to put one aside for you when they come in.

I'm currently squirreling away pennies for the newly released 308 HUD ACSS model. I have emailed Primary Arms with a few questions and they were quickly answered by Dimitri. I can't wait to put it through the paces.
Ive been following the new 4x14 acss since it was still being tested. Now that its been released im not sure if i still want it or the normal mil/mil. Im pretty sure im going to end up buying both though.

Z06sid
11-25-2014, 03:15 PM
I have a 308 HUD ACSS waiting on at home that Fed Ex delivered.

darkker
11-25-2014, 09:17 PM
When you can, start a thread about that reticle. From the videos I have no personal use for it, but another view is interesting.

D.ID
11-26-2014, 03:03 AM
Shot mine again on my Tikka. 695 300win mag w/185 Bergers over 90gr of H1000. Sweet clover at 100 to start, and solid anatomical hits on my see thru deer target.

????????......90 grains of h1000 in a win mag??????? Sure about that? That sounds about 10 grains high.

darkker
11-26-2014, 07:56 PM
9 over max by Hodgy's current website

chukarmandoo
02-05-2015, 12:13 AM
I have a 308 HUD ACSS waiting on at home that Fed Ex delivered.

When you can, start a thread about that reticle. From the videos I have no personal use for it, but another view is interesting.

Anyone got anything to say about this? I want to move a voxtex pst from my ar to my 6.5-284 and put this scope on my ar.

limige
02-05-2015, 01:47 AM
Tagging for future reviews once I get some time behind mine. Glass looks great and im eager to get some time behind it

scooterf79
02-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Ive read nothing but good about these scopes. Im seriously thinking about buying one. I'm just a little hesitant because all Ive ever used is MOA. Im just now getting into stretching my guns out just a little, and I have a couple questions. If I understand FFP correctly, the mils dont change value through the entire zoom range as does a 2nd FP. Ive read the reticle gets bigger as you zoom....if thats the case, wouldn't the crosshairs start to cover the bullseye? Ive read a little on the mils vs moa (just starting) It doesn't seem too difficult, I guess I don't wanna buy the scope and be disappointed it ( i realize that can happen with anything) I guess I need to know what I'm getting into with the FFP and the mils stuff. Sorry for the newbie questions.
Thanks!
Scooter

shooterfpga
02-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Once you go ffp AND mil you never go back. Its the best invention since the automobile. People always want to think in inches or moa but mils are where its at. Some reticles MAY cover the target as you zoom because of the thickness of the reticle but most never have that issue with the more commonly used ffp scopes. I can zero any new weapon with two shots using mils. One to see where its at on paper and one to correct placement using just what the reticle tells me to adjust my turret. If you want to get fancy with mils the swfa milquad reticle is beautiful and the bushnell g2dmr reticle is even more sexy. Im running traditional mildots but my next will be a christmas tree mildot reticle.

chukarmandoo
02-05-2015, 10:30 AM
I trying to change all my scopes over to mils and ffp and at this price I can maybe make it happen a little faster.

Scooterf, The reticle on ffp never covers the target at higher zoom anymore than it does at a lower zoom. It just appears to.

chukarmandoo
02-05-2015, 10:41 AM
One more thing about running mils is - if you run mils you need to run ffp!

Hotolds442
02-05-2015, 11:09 AM
It should be pointed out here that this review is for the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP MIL-MIL non-illuminated model.

darkker
02-05-2015, 12:42 PM
If I understand FFP correctly, the mils dont change value through the entire zoom range as does a 2nd FP. Ive read the reticle gets bigger as you zoom....if thats the case, wouldn't the crosshairs start to cover the bullseye? Ive read a little on the mils vs moa (just starting) It doesn't seem too difficult, I guess I don't wanna buy the scope and be disappointed it ( i realize that can happen with anything) I guess I need to know what I'm getting into with the FFP and the mils stuff. Sorry for the newbie questions.
Thanks!
Scooter

Correct, FFP the distance between the mil dots in the reticle are a constant distance, because the reticle grows and shrinks with magnification.
You CAN cover-up the target with the reticle, yes. but provided your scope doesn't have an oddly proportioned reticle, I don't know anyone that uses 14X at 100 yards. So it is only a "problem" on a personal application basis.

The important point, at least in my mind, is to have MATHCING turrets and reticle. As long as the reticle is Mil, AND the turrets are mill; or alternatively, if they are moa/moa the world is in harmony.
What I discovered was that at distance, what I used to think was... some number of inches off, really was not. So again, if you have matching turrets/reticles; don't think about inches or mills in an absolute value to me tested on paper, so much as the mills or moa that the Turret Vs. impact is.
If you are a mill low or high, adjust that amount. rather than looking at the target thinking you are an inch off and trying to convert to mils.

cheers

foxx
02-05-2015, 02:05 PM
^^^ EXACTLY. to put another way... always measure your "misses" or whatever tthrough your scope, and use the reticle marks (mills) as your "ruler". if your shot was 1 mill off, move your turret 1 mil (10 clicks if it is a .10 mil/ click turret). If it appears to be 1/2 mill off, adjustyour turret 5 clicks (5 x .10/clicks = .5 mil total adjustment).

As long as your turrets match your reticle, and your scope is FFP, it doesn't even matter if they are "mils" or "farts". :) it's all about adjusting for what ever the angle is that you are off. If your "ruler" for measuring is the same as your tool for correcting, you are good to go. Just keep in mind that most clicks are 1/10 of a mil.

Some reticles are marked with mils and then 1/4 and 1/2 mils. That makes it easier to judge whether you were off by 1/2 or 1/4 or 3/4. etc. Regardless, the principal is he same.

It really is SO much easier than a newbie wants to make it, especially if that "newbie" is used to measuring how far the hole is from the center of the target in inches and then, whether he realizes it or not, does the math in his head to determine how many clicks he needs to move his reticle. FORGET ABOUT IT! Just move it as many clicks as necessary according to your reticle, regardless of the range you are shooting from.

limige
02-05-2015, 03:16 PM
So what your really saying is FFP is for ppl that like to miss

foxx
02-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Lol Yes, but it is even better for estimating distance. If you know the size of the object you are looking at, and know the conversion factors, then you can instantly estimate the range to the object. And, it doesn't matter what power you are at.

scooterf79
02-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Hmm....the using the reticle to figure out the adjustments ne9eded sounds great, and easy....and i understand it needing to be mil/mil. I never was sure why some scopes had both, in my little head that made no sense to me lol. You guys are pushing me toward this one, here we go again, being forced my peer pressure by you all to buy something else....just like the actions, barrels, this tool, that tool that you all make me buy 😉. Seriously though, thanks for the info and input, I really appreciate it.
Scooter

limige
02-06-2015, 05:37 AM
Each has their place.
I like the thin crosshairs sfp scopes have. I have a Leica rangefinder for determining range. Now estimating offsets in wind at long distance could prove to be a chore. So im guessing it depends what type of shooting you do.

Holdover works on sfp or ffp the same. The only place ffp shines is if you want to measure on the reticle then dial accordingly. ..mainly target shooting

Hunting it wouldnt matter either way.

I now own both. So we will see if I get bit by the ffp bug or not.

darkker
02-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Holdover works on sfp or ffp the same. The only place ffp shines is if you want to measure on the reticle then dial accordingly. ..mainly target shooting

Hunting it wouldnt matter either way.

No, holdover doesn't work the same way; which means it does matter for hunting.
If you are using your reticle, whether it is a mill dot, duplex, etc to guess a holdover; SFP will tell you lies, which is where most of the stories about " I done shot at over 500 yards and got him" come from.

Unless you ONLY shoot at one magnification, SFP scopes will make you hold over different amounts, due to it staying a constant size relative to the target. So in a SFP say you shot and miss low by one mill on your scope. You chase, catch back up to the game and your rangefinder says it's the same distance. But you want to make sure you hit, so you zoom in/out some. NOW you changed the magnification, so that mill you had to hold over, isn't the same relative amount. Miss #2, inbound

limige
02-07-2015, 01:58 AM
heres my train of thought darker. you take a shot at a ground hog, pdog whatever, you see the shot go high, note how high on the retical and make a holdover adjustment.... different train of thought I know where your coming from