PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunter Stocks- boyds tacticool, choate tactical, mdt lss chassis

jac091498
08-17-2014, 10:45 AM
I just ordered a .308 hog hunter. I plan on making it my long range rifle. Eventually, I will be buying a vortex viper, but I will be using my Nikon on it through hunting season this year while a save up for the scope. Right now, I would like to buy a new stock/chassis. Is the choate tactical worth the extra $100 over the Boyds (weight is not an issue)?Would it need to be bedded for 800 yard shooting since it is aluminum bedded? If I got the Boyds, I would bed it and use the saved money to buy a muzzle brake. Is this option better than the choate? Another option is the mdt lss chassis. The cheapest I can find it is 375, about 100 to add a stock and pistol grip, and 60 more for a 10 rd mag. The money is the killer of this option. Is it worth the dbm option that comes with the chassis? Any advice or opinions are appreciated. Thanks for the help.

justdave
08-17-2014, 10:47 PM
I have a hog hunter in a LSS chassis. I have 2 other rifles that use the same mags so, I considered that to be a pro. The con is, there's not much to hang on to under the barrel. This chassis really lends itself to shooting from a bipod or a rest of some sort. If you hunt in a state that restricts magazine capacity to 4, the mags may present another problem. The set up works for me, just giving you a few things to ponder.

jac091498
08-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the advice. Mag prices are definitely another problem I didn't consider.

D.ID
08-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Is the choate worth an extra c-note?......Absolutely.
Is the boyd tacicool a good stock for the money?.....Absolutely.
Would it need bedded for 800?.........boyds: yep, probably. Choate: nope, probably not.
When you factor in the cost of a suitable stock for precision work being added to the MDT you will see you are very close to the same cost of a KRG "x-ray" or XLR "element".............so if you go that far up in cost, you have options that are very relative.
I put one of my 338 winchester hog hunters in a choate tactical............it weighs 11.6lbs fully equipped (scope,sling,bipod). Currently shooting 0.4" with minimal load development. I think it's handy and well balanced. I also think it is inexpensive without being cheep and can easily recommend it.

jac091498
08-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Alright. The rifle is being shipped. I will probably order a choate within a couple of weeks. Thanks for the advice

BlueDog
08-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Late to the party, but I felt the Choate was on the heavy side, and the HUGE palm swell felt like a poor copy of a high end stock. I went with the Tacticool and love the shape, and I am happy with the results. Good luck!

boostless
08-20-2014, 08:38 PM
The Choate is pretty heavy and since it is an aluminum "V" block they don't typically get bedded. I went with the PTG DBM in a Manners which is even more expensive than the LSS. I think it will come down to personal preference, I had a Choate on my R700 and ended up not liking it. I would suggest getting behind what you want to get before the purchase if at all possible.

storeyteller
08-20-2014, 09:34 PM
I have 2 rifles with the tacticool stocks and I really like them for the $, but went with the choate tactical on my latest build. It is somewhat heavier but I don't care about the weight either. It is way more durable. I'm not rough on my rifles but I don't baby them either. If you look at the tacticool wrong you can damage the finish. IMO, it's worth the extra cheese.

Steelhead
08-24-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty happy with my Choate tactical.
It's heavy but not stupidly so.
For what I do with it the weight is a plus.

upSLIDEdown
08-24-2014, 03:36 PM
I bought Tacticools for both my guns. Both Axis'. One is a stock Axis 308. The latest is a 6.5 Creedmoor on an Axis action. I bought Tacticools because there isn't much available for the Axis, because it's cheap. And that's fine. That's why I built it. Also why I bought the Boyds. I bedded it, and have great results. Finish doesn't bother me. Easy enough to repaint it if it gets chipped. All in what you're looking for really, and if you're willing to bed it.