PDA

View Full Version : Wsm push feed short action?

87predator
08-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Hello all. I just got am7 Wsm small shank barrel, and wonder if or where I can find a short action push feed magnum bolt head. I know these were usually built on large shank actions with the standing ejector, but I'm wondering if this can be done on a staggered feed or if I need a center feed action. As always thanks gents.

nzshooter
08-17-2014, 04:13 AM
I'm not sure where you would purchase one, but I have 2 factory 7wsm's (short action large shank), the earlier left handed one is controlled feed with the standing ejector, the newer right handed one is push feed, so they must be out there, maybe savage can supply one

bootsmcguire
08-18-2014, 01:00 AM
The push feed WSM bolt head for the Short action is a bit hard to find, however there are some options.

PT&G can make you one IIRC. Also you can make yourself one if you have the means, or a good local machine shop. Just get a Magnum bolt head for a long action and have the rear stem ground/turned down to short action length, then recut the chamfer in the hole for the firing pin and your all set. Adjust your firing pin protrusion for the new head and headspace and go.

Something to consider, the WSM rifles in SF used the CRF heads because the SF mags had a tendency to allow the rounds to pop free of the mag and so they used CRF to cure the issue. The newer CF mags allowed the push feed system to work because the hold the rounds better. If it were me I would build on a LA-CF action. Then you just screw on the barrel and headspace and you're set. I have done this and it works fine when using mags intended for the 7mm or 300 magnums. By going this route you get all the space you can want for seating long bullets way out there if needed.

87predator
08-18-2014, 08:40 AM
That's what I was thinking. Unfortunately all of my five long actions are SF, and I have one center feed short action. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Thunger
08-19-2014, 12:07 AM
I had the same problem as you 87predator. I needed a short action magnum push feed bolt head for my target action to shoot 7mm WSM. I ended up talking to Sharp Shooter Supply and they made me a custom bolt head and firing pin for around $100 shipped. Hope this helps.

bootsmcguire
08-19-2014, 02:01 AM
That's what I was thinking. Unfortunately all of my five long actions are SF, and I have one center feed short action. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Sounds to me like a great excuse to buy a new donor rifle. ;)