PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: What I did with my M25 .204 Thumbhole Laminate

sav250
08-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I bought a Vortex Viper 2.5-10X PSST 30mm tube scope and had to wait on getting the 30mm rings to attach to the Savage 25 bases already in place, which were the slotted weaver type. So I had ordered Weaver Tactical rings (2 holers on one side instead of 3 holers) thinking the 30 mm rings would just slot into the bases of the rifle. Not so!

I then tried to make the forward base slot larger to see how much metal filing I'd have to do to widen the slot with a Swiss Army Knife metal file/hack saw. I found it was as if I was in the movie Escape from Alcatraz and gave up. I then went outside for a Camel bolt and while out on the deck the idea occurred to me to go ahead and mount the rings on the scope and then have the rings grab the edges of the rifle's bases (instead of in the slots) and presto! It worked like a charm!

I have fiddled with this new rifle for about 3 weeks and it is even smoother in feel than it was. I can't wait to see what this rifle will do using 32gr V Max Hornady (says over 4200 fps MV on the box).

GaCop
09-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Nice job, looking forward to your range report!