PDA

View Full Version : Nigtforce Competition vs. March scopes

Cat 64
08-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Another question...I guess based on the answers I got to my previous post I would like to hear a comparison between the above mentioned scopes. Some of you will perhaps disagree, but I looked through the glass of a couple NF other the Competition (which sports this HD glass) and the picture didn't seem as bright as the competition (my shooting buddies concurred). I was looking at March scopes but not familiar with their product/quality /glass. I am wondering if it's worth it to wait to save more for the latter scope.

LoneWolf
08-15-2014, 02:14 PM
All the reviews over on Snipershide put the March Scopes head and shoulders over NF. I have looked through a NF competition that was all the way up at 55x. I wasn't all that impressed, but I haven't shot a lot with that kind of magnification either.

barrel-nut
08-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Not quite satisfied with your NF Comp? Just curious, how clear is it typically at 1,000yds on a hot humid summer day? I don't really know if any scope can be very clear with the mirage and such that we have when it's really hot. I've not had the opportunity to shoot any with mine yet at distance, only 100 yds so far for fire forming brass. Very hard to justify the price at close range lol.
I've never used a March scope, so I can't compare. Several short-range benchresters that i know around here use them and they seem to like them. Huge $$$ though.

Cat 64
08-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Not quite satisfied with your NF Comp? Just curious, how clear is it typically at 1,000yds on a hot humid summer day? I don't really know if any scope can be very clear with the mirage and such that we have when it's really hot. I've not had the opportunity to shoot any with mine yet at distance, only 100 yds so far for fire forming brass. Very hard to justify the price at close range lol.
I've never used a March scope, so I can't compare. Several short-range benchresters that i know around here use them and they seem to like them. Huge $$$ though.

No...i do love my NF Comp. I am building a new rifle ( a bit more on the tactical side) and evaluating available options. I looked at Burris XTR II 40x as well. I never looked through any of the other scopes that is why I am asking. All I know is that Comp scope is great at any distance including humid/ mirage days. The HD glass makes it more appealing than the regular NF (this opinion belongs to a few people I shoot with). It is a pleasure @ 1000 yards. The only thing I don't like are the turrets...and maybe the eye relief a little...at 55x requires a "perfect" body position to see through which, if used in a tactical situation, is less desirable.

chukarmandoo
08-16-2014, 12:16 AM
I will tell you this, even tactical precision you won't need anything close to 55x. Most run 4-27 and only turn them up to 12 or 14x and a lot of times less. In tactical precision matches glass is not always the No1 requirement either.

beta1759
08-26-2014, 05:19 PM
take a look at the Leupold VX-6 7-42. I have one, and its fantastic. Crisp, bright, and a great field of view. It's better than the NF Comp i had before it hand down (and cheaper). Plus the TMOA-Plus reticle is awesome for shooting targets.

Cat 64
08-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Who sells those on a good deal?

beta1759
08-27-2014, 01:14 AM
They should be available at all of the usual web stores for less than 2k. I think Leupold has been slow to release them however. I got pretty lucky to get my hands on one. Honestly, this thing is amazing. it has without doubt increase my scores and X count.

Cat 64
08-27-2014, 08:15 AM
They should be available at all of the usual web stores for less than 2k. I think Leupold has been slow to release them however. I got pretty lucky to get my hands on one. Honestly, this thing is amazing. it has without doubt increase my scores and X count.
What reticle do you have? Does the crosshairs cover the target? Is it a FFP or a SFP? Optics Planet has a sale now and you can get it for $1559

scope eye
08-27-2014, 08:25 AM
What reticle do you have? Does the crosshairs cover the target? Is it a FFP or a SFP? Optics Planet has a sale now and you can get it for $1559

This is all I could find.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-6-7-42x56mm-34mm-side-focus-cds-scope.html

Dean

beta1759
08-27-2014, 12:23 PM
i have the TMOA-Plus reticle (moa based reticle). what is really cool about the optic is that the middle of the crosshairs has a .5moa opening, and within that opening there is an inner "crosshair" that is .3 moa but also has an opening of .04 moa. For me, all i have been doing is using the inner cross hair and just putting it on the X and pulling the trigger. The "inner crosshairs" subtend perfectly inside of the white pasty we use to mark the center of the X ring. Incredibly simple and accurate.

Cat 64
08-27-2014, 06:46 PM
This is all I could find.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-6-7-42x56mm-34mm-side-focus-cds-scope.html

Dean
Dean, I saw that quote last night and was very close to click the button for completing the order. I don't see that deal today. Do you know much about this scope? From this point on I can't help but compare every scope with the glass I have on NF Competition (the HD glass).

scope eye
08-27-2014, 07:11 PM
I do not know much about it, only the hype when something new comes out, I am sure it is a technical marvel.

Dean

beta1759
08-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Cat 64,
i'm telling you, you WILL NOT be disappointed in this optic. Trust me. CLICK THE BUTTON!! the last 2 shoots i did with it i have improved my overall score and X count.

aw800r
08-29-2014, 12:49 AM
i'm saving up for a VX-6 7-42! Can't speak about the nightforce specifically, but I have the 2-12 on my hunting rifle and i absolutely love it. Best optic i have ever owned. I don't think anyone will argue with USA's F-TR team Vice Captain.

"We were shown this new 7-42X Leupold by USA F-TR Team Vice Captain Mike Miller. Mike literally grabbed this editor’s arm and said “You’ve got to see this new Leupold — it’s fantastic.”

In your case Cat 64, i think it's important to read to comments in the link below...specifically the one by Richard King.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/08/spy-photos-new-7-42x-leupold-vx-6-scope-revealed-at-raton/

Jamie
08-30-2014, 09:10 PM
I don't own the NF Comp nor the VX-6 but I do own a VX-3 Varmint Series and a NXS. The Leupold is brighter, but then again my Cabela's Euro is even brighter than the Leupy.