PDA

View Full Version : Parts list...LA 300WM to 308 Bolt Head Conversion

CAPTBEACH
08-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Bought a 110FP that was 300WM from the factory...sold the magnum bolt head, need a 308 bolt head what parts am I looking for? I am selling ( or intend to sell) the Magnum bolt head stripped, are the ejector/extractor on the magnum bolt head swappable to the .308 bolt head? Or should I just call savagegive them my serial number and buy from them? Is PTG an option? Been hearing questionable things about them lately...SSS? NSS?

bootsmcguire
08-14-2014, 07:47 PM
PTG is an option.

Your ejector parts will work fine, they are all the same, with a few exceptions in rare chamberings. Extractor parts are all the same now. The spring and ball detent are the same, I have found in some older models that extractor shape and detent locations slightly varied between bolt head sizes but in the newer ones (mid 90's on up IMH Experience) all are the same, or at least all the ones I have checked.

Remember that Long action bolt heads are different from the short action heads so you want one from a 30-06 based cartridge (25-06, 270, 30-06, etc.) due to the short action heads having a slightly shorter stem on them.