PDA

View Full Version : Chop Down Current 11VT or Start with New Axis

Chrazy-Chris
08-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a suppressor on the way and I want to build my own poor man's version of the "Precision Carbine- Threaded." It will have a traditional-shaped stock and varmint contour threaded barrel in the 16-18" range.

I have a 24" 11VT currently in a busted tacticool stock (stock is getting replaced either way) with an SWFA SS 16x and EGW 20MOA base. I'm still figuring out the reloading thing, but I've been mostly pleased with the accuracy from this rifle.

On the other hand, I have an opportunity to get an Axis HB (heavy barrel) for a decent price, which I would have cut, recrowned, and threaded.

I have the Midway special Weaver Tac Grand Slam 3-10x40 mil/mil on the way for this project.

Help me decide! Should I chop down my existing 11VT for this project, or get a new gun altogether to be the host for this suppressor-oriented build and try to have it fulfill both roles (long range and suppressor'ed carbine)? Or maybe I should sell my 11VT and just buy an 11PC?

LoneWolf
08-14-2014, 11:47 AM
I would probably just stay with the 11VT because it will cost less to have it cut and threaded than to completely rebuild an Axis. Plus you'll have a better Action in the case you want to go DBM or anything like that. I would put the rest of the money into getting a better composite stock that can take the abuse of hunting and long range (possibly competition).

GaCop
08-15-2014, 11:44 AM
I would probably just stay with the 11VT because it will cost less to have it cut and threaded than to completely rebuild an Axis. Plus you'll have a better Action in the case you want to go DBM or anything like that. I would put the rest of the money into getting a better composite stock that can take the abuse of hunting and long range (possibly competition).

+1, good advise.

Chrazy-Chris
08-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm taking her in to get chopped and threaded to 18" tomorrow. I just ordered an HS precision stock. I figured I would rather have one very nice rifle than two mediocre ones. Now I just need to decide whether I want to keep the SWFA 16x (30mm) on it or switch to the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10x40 (1"). I'm using an EGW mount and I'd like to get the scope closer to the barrel.