PDA

View Full Version : Help me with: very harsh bolt lift on LH 110

Pages : [1] 2

rdlange
09-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi folks, new here. Just got my first LH 110. Bolt lifts smoothly at first, then the final 20 deg is very stiff and rough. I have to drop the gun from my shoulder to cock it completely. Gun smith polished up the insides but still lifts very hard. Not right...

These guns been around a long time, must be something simple. Please advise. >:(

Thanks
RDL

Southernfryedyankee
09-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Could it be a headspace issue? I notice if I tighten the barrel or barrel nut a lil to much my headspace is VERY tight and it causes my bolt handle to get VERY tight and I have to redo it

firemachine69
09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
When I first got my rifle, I found the action rather stiff. I raked some dummies through it, it's pretty smooth now.

geargrinder
09-09-2009, 10:47 PM
When I first got my rifle, I found the action rather stiff. I raked some dummies through it, it's pretty smooth now.

Agreed.

Most actions will smooth out considerably as it breaks in.

firemachine69
09-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I gave some guys a heart-attack when I said I was opening and closing the bolt with just the factory grease in it. But if I don't tell people who handle it for the first time right now, they think it came smooth from the factory as such. ;)

johnds
09-09-2009, 11:35 PM
They make or you can make a cheap life kit for your bolt. The other option is to send the action to SSS and they will do it for over $100 as I recall. They put that same inexpensive lift kit in it as part of the process. Savage is not a high quality or for that matter at high priced fired arm. If you want really nice you have to spend some money.

Johnds

rdlange
09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the help. I emailed about lift kit and will do a headspace check asap. Continuing to work action to smooth it out. Seems to be a problem with alot of them from what I found on the net.

RDL

demented
09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Joe Degrande from Savage will send you a prepaid shipping label for you to send your rifle back for adjustment. Savage fixed my bolt timing and it didn't cost me anything but a trip to the post office to send it.

Woodser
09-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Before you go and spend money on a fix, pull the front action screw and see if it
is being scraped by the bolt lugs. I had the same problem with a 112FV, and it turned out to be the bolt was a thread too long. A little Dremel action solved the problem.

Also have a friend with a Model 25 that had the exact same problem. Seems getting a little over zealous on the tightening was the cause in both cases.

skorcher247
09-30-2009, 04:44 AM
I've had my Savage 10fp for at LEAST 5 years and the bolt is still really stiff to lift.

I've been looking all over for a fix and just ran across this thread!

Can someone link me to that lift kit?

~Mikey

firemachine69
09-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Joe Degrande from Savage will send you a prepaid shipping label for you to send your rifle back for adjustment. Savage fixed my bolt timing and it didn't cost me anything but a trip to the post office to send it.

Nice. Up here in Canada, the rifle goes back to the a wholesaler in Southern Ontario, in which it will cost you shipping (both ways), and perhaps a nice bill if they deem their work was due to "abuse".

geargrinder
09-30-2009, 10:45 PM
I've had my Savage 10fp for at LEAST 5 years and the bolt is still really stiff to lift.

I've been looking all over for a fix and just ran across this thread!

Can someone link me to that lift kit?

~Mikey

I make my own. 5/16" ball bearing in a 38 or 357 case with the walls cut off. Trim off a bit from the BAS. Drop it into the cocking sleeve. Tighten the BAS. All done.

louthedog
10-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Installing a bolt lift kit will not be the coup de gras for a severe hard bolt lift. The lift kit only adds a small degree of smoothness. A time and true by Fred will alleviate the issues.

Blue Avenger
10-01-2009, 09:03 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/savagebolt001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/savagebolt007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/gunsmith/bbcockingbutton.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/savagebolt008.jpg

this bolt screw is to long and needs to be trimmed shorter to compensate for the change. the newer screws are shorter and should also be trimmed or you put extra pressure on the spring and change the position of the moving parts.

desertdog
10-01-2009, 10:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/bbcockingbutton.jpg
what is that??

(edit)fixed the link, I had been moving things around as I was getting to many pictures, so some sort of filing system was needed :) blue

geargrinder
10-01-2009, 11:52 PM
That is a ball bearing glued into a 357 case. Otherwise known as a bolt lift kit. :)

cowboyarcher
10-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Here's a question for you guys, what would the affects be of simply trimming the BAS? I figure this would lighten tension on the Firing Pin spring and reduce bolt lift. I've noticed what seems like different amounts between my different Savage rifles.

Any thoughts? Ill affects on the firing pin power?

Blue Avenger
10-02-2009, 11:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/savagebolt008.jpg

This bolt screw is not shortened to make up for the loss of space the "lift kit adds"
This is one of the "older" screws that fits down inside the sleeve. If you were to use this screw at its present length with a lift kit you would really mess up spring pressure and firing pin travel.

Blue Avenger
10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Here's a question for you guys, what would the affects be of simply trimming the BAS? I figure this would lighten tension on the Firing Pin spring and reduce bolt lift. I've noticed what seems like different amounts between my different Savage rifles.

less spring pressure slows the travel speed of the firing pin and reduces the power of the strike against the primer.

cowboyarcher
10-02-2009, 01:34 PM

less spring pressure slows the travel speed of the firing pin and reduces the power of the strike against the primer.

That's what I was thinking, is there a way to determine the correct amount of spring pressure?