PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 upgrade to 14

Pages : [1] 2

Doc7
08-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Hello all

I picked out a caliber for my first center fire rifle, a 7mm-08. Originally I was in a 223/243 mindset but decided a 6.5 or 7 could be my "only rifle ever" and covers everything from introducing newbies after a 22 with relatively lower recoil than other centerfires, and everything I will ever hunt being an East coaster. I like the 7mm over the 6.5 swede now due to similar ballistics but shorter action.

Along with the caliber selection and the thought that this might be my "only rifle" that will be inherited someday I really like the model 14 American Classic . However I will be able to purchase an 11 Trophy Hunter XP combo much sooner and have it set up with scope right out of the box!

Besides someday adding a better scope/rings/bases, and a walnut stock (I understand Numrich sells them) is there anything else I would have missed?

Is the barrel finished the same and the same inside and out? The receiver? The magazine? How about the bolt handle? Is there ANYTHING I may have wished I had gotten from the get-go?

Thank you!

Doc7
08-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Looks like the trophy hunter is a black vs blued.

Steelhead
08-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Trophy hunter will have plastic bottom metal and axis style mags.

mikgarus
08-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Axis-style mags. No, you don't want that!

foxx
08-12-2014, 11:33 AM

Exactly. If it weren't for the dang Axis style mag, I'd say the TH is a good package.

Scope is decent for hunting within 250-300 yards. ( I would not put any faith in any BDC reticle without a lot of testing/verifying of the elevation). I'd upgrade the mounts and rings, though.

Of course, a lot of guys really like the Axis rifles. But, hey, if I could tolerate their mags, I'd just buy an Axis. They shoot well. As far as I am concerned, putting those mags on a 10/110 is blasphemy. It's like putting plastic tires on a Corvette.

Doc7
08-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Do the other Savage 11s have a different bottom metal and magazines than the Trophy Hunter package?

Doc7
08-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Is there any way to build a Savage 14 over a couple of years by starting with another model that has the same barreled action minus the nice stock?

foxx
08-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Best way to do that, I believe, is to get a used 10 or 110 in plastic or cheap wood. I've done a bunch of them this past year. Lot of fun. You can get something for about $300 and go from there. I'd say start here with a $15 / year paid membership so you can access the classifieds. There are great deals all the time. IT also gives you access to great tech articles on the different sized actions, what fits, the triggers, etc. Consider it a mag subscription to the best Savage resource available.

foxx
08-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Here's my latest:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?37055-Foxx-build-pics

Doc7
08-12-2014, 08:17 PM
No way to do it with a new rifle? Thank you for the input so far!

sharpshooter
08-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Best way is to save your pennies and buy an American Classic. By the time you piece one together, it will cost twice as much.

foxx
08-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Numrich has Classic American Walnut stocks for $50-120.
Used Savages go for $300-350 and have better bolt release
Aftermarket triggers: $90-130

Project total (estimate): $540
New American Classic from discount online retailer $700

I have seen American CLassics on the rack at local gun shops that look incredible, and others I would not want to own.
If you know what you're looking for, and like what you find, and enjoy a project, these days, I don't see how new is better.
Furthermore, Savage does not make an American Classic in .260. I have all the parts and barrels to build 2 of them like the one shown above. It can be done. and it's fun. :)

Look around, see what's available.

Doc7
08-12-2014, 11:19 PM

I am still not quite understanding this. Do current production 110s have a different detachable box mag than a current production 114?

foxx
08-12-2014, 11:40 PM
The Trophy Hunter XP (maybe all the package series) has Axis style mags.

The higher-end models have metal DBM's.

Doc7
08-13-2014, 10:13 AM
I guess I have no idea what an Axis Style magazine is as I have never seen one and google isn't helping me. Is it the same detachable box but it it is plastic instead of metal and I can buy metal ones at Brownells? Or are they different designs

foxx
08-13-2014, 10:42 AM
They are designed differently. There is a plastic clip that engages the port differently. In my experience it is not as smooth or reliable because it does not engage or seat well. I have to force it into place and it can be wedged in a twisted and angled position, therefore it does not feed properly. It lacks a good "snap-in" feel and does not release well. The original 10/110 metal versions slide nicely and have the definite "snap-in" feel and release by a spring button. The metal ones require a metal frame that surrounds the well and looks and feels better. Also, a wood stock pretty much requires the metal version, so if you start with the axis mag and the synthetic stock, you will need the metal mag and it's frame when upgrading to wood or other aftermarket stocks. That adds about $150 to your cost.

That's why Sharpshooter is saying that you might be better off buying the American Classic from the get-go if you want a wood stock with detachable magazine. If, on the other hand, you don't want to pay the cost for it, you can get a "blind mag" version, which is an internal, top-feeding mag that is not detachable, and then upgrade to a blind mag wood stock later. Those stocks can be pretty nice and run about $100.

I prefer blind mag over Axis DBM.

Until you actually handle them and use them, I doubt you can get a real good idea of how they differ and how well they serve your purposes. Axis models shoot well, there's no doubt about it. I don't think they are heirloom-quality. The American Classic could very well be.

There are good, reliable, used, blind-mag synthetic stocked 10/110's for $300. Over time you can upgrade the triggers for $100, stock for $100. If the accuracy falls off with heavy use, you can replace it for $200. Or change caliber/cartridge choice (that's true with all Savages). The difference here is, if you start used, and want something different, there's still money available to get it.

Finally, if you start used, and decide to sell it, you can usually get your money back, unless you've paid for a lot of upgrades.

Doc7
08-13-2014, 11:42 AM
It sounds like I might investigate used and like you said I can replace the barrel and stock. I doubt the action itself will ever wear out...

Doc7
08-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Is there any other differences in the Savage actions I need to look for when looking at used items, other than a blind mag and everything on it being metal instead of plastic? (Except the stock)

foxx
08-13-2014, 12:38 PM
All actions for 10's and 110's are of same quality. 10' are short and require short action cartridges. Long action will accept either. For simplicity avoid magnums. Some are stagger feed ( older) and center feed. Neither is better, but require the specific stock.

foxx
08-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Also I recommend top bolt release.