PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savaga Mk II questions.

AdamAnt
04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Just bought a Mk II F. All I've done with it so far is 25 yd target for testing that comes in the book that came with the gun. I noticed my shots are hitting 2-3 inches to the right so have to adjust my front sight. That's where an issue comes up, the front sight is so tight that it will not budge no matter what I try to do with it. Been looking around at scope mounts and all that I could find that they say fits it is the weaver #24 2 piece mount (which no local shops keep in stock so I have to order from midway). Are there any other mounts the fit the Mk II F? Is there anything I could do to break that front sight free short of taking it to a gunshop, I would like to put a set of high rings on it so I can use my irons from time to time.

shelbyfan
04-05-2010, 01:28 PM
First, Welcome.

Second. Have you tried adjusting your rear sight? The fronts are generally not made to be removed or adjusted, the rears are.

If you want the standard factory mounts just give Savage a call. (413) 568-7001 for parts and service. General Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM - 4:30PM EST Closed for lunch between 12:00 PM and 12:30 PM

If you want something made for more durable work and more adjustment try these. http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=52

AdamAnt
04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
First, Welcome.

Second. Have you tried adjusting your rear sight? The fronts are generally not made to be removed or adjusted, the rears are.

If you want the standard factory mounts just give Savage a call. (413) 568-7001 for parts and service. General Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM - 4:30PM EST Closed for lunch between 12:00 PM and 12:30 PM

If you want something made for more durable work and more adjustment try these. http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=52

It's all factory sights on it. The rear is a notched blade type and only adjusts up and down. I was originally trying to adjust that but it doesn't feel all that tough and I was kind of worried about snapping it off if I moved it too far. I should be able to get it off completely and swap it out with a different sight that is easier adjustable though.

Edit: I got the front sight to move and no matter where I move it it still hits to the right even from a vise. Put the front sight back on center since it had no effect at all. Short of bending that rear sight how would it adjust left or right? I've owned a few guns before and never had this issue and it's kind of frustrating since this was NIB.

EGW1
04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
EGW makes a Picatinny rail for the Mk2 and 93 savage.

The eariler Mk2 used a 1 3/8 ejection port.

Now the newer Mk2 and the 93 use the 1 5/8 port.

The Pic rail allows you to position the scope where you like on the gun front to back and allows much more flexabiltiy.

Best regards
geo

www.egw-guns.com

shelbyfan
04-06-2010, 08:06 PM
It's all factory sights on it. The rear is a notched blade type and only adjusts up and down. I was originally trying to adjust that but it doesn't feel all that tough and I was kind of worried about snapping it off if I moved it too far. I should be able to get it off completely and swap it out with a different sight that is easier adjustable though.

Edit: I got the front sight to move and no matter where I move it it still hits to the right even from a vise. Put the front sight back on center since it had no effect at all. Short of bending that rear sight how would it adjust left or right? I've owned a few guns before and never had this issue and it's kind of frustrating since this was NIB.
It is dovetailed in same as the front. I use a brass punch to drift it over.

AdamAnt
04-06-2010, 10:41 PM

It is dovetailed in same as the front. I use a brass punch to drift it over.

The Mk II F doesn't have a dovetail rear, it does have the dove tail front though.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIF
It's kind of retarded but the rear on that only adjust up and down and has no way of adjusting left and right, at least as far as I can see.

EGW makes a Picatinny rail for the Mk2 and 93 savage.

The eariler Mk2 used a 1 3/8 ejection port.

Now the newer Mk2 and the 93 use the 1 5/8 port.

The Pic rail allows you to position the scope where you like on the gun front to back and allows much more flexabiltiy.

Best regards
geo

www.egw-guns.com

I got a set of Weaver #24 in the mail as they were the cheapest route and the two piece setup won't interfere with ejection at all. Thanks for that though I'll make a note in case I ever want to put a Picatinny on it (might be best route as I could probably set a small peep under a set of high mounts with a Picatinny installed).

shelbyfan
04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
As far as I know all the Savage rear mounts are adjustable. The picture off savages website shows a site that can be drifted.

http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/ginormous/markiif.png

AdamAnt
04-07-2010, 03:21 PM
As far as I know all the Savage rear mounts are adjustable. The picture off savages website shows a site that can be drifted.

http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/ginormous/markiif.png

Thanks, I was mistaken and I'm man enough to admit it ;) . It is a dovetail it's just really really tight and the tops of the inside match up with tops of the dove tail. After letting it sit for an hour with some penetrator on it slid pretty easily. Can't shoot it today but now that I could move it easily with a small brass punch I'll play with it when I could get to the range. Can't seem to find my calipers, anyone happen to know what size dovetails they are? If I could find something to fit I wouldn't mind putting a set of firesights on it.