PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Face Affect on Accuracy

Chrazy-Chris
08-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Hello,

I'm fairly new to squeezing accuracy out of bolt actions and I have a few questions regarding the bolt face. I assume the primary accuracy-affecting factor is whether the bolt head is square so as to hold the cartridge straight in the chamber before and during ignition. I'm also wondering:
1. How clean do you need to keep them? When dirty, do they affect accuracy? (reference photo below)
2. Why is the PTG bolt head better than the stock one? Is it worth the $50 bucks?

Here's the bolt face on my 308 prior to cleaning. Other than giving it a good scrub and trying to get that carbon ring off, is there anything in particular I need to pay attention to?

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5565/14696047790_c43da154cb_b.jpg

As always, thanks for your input!

foxx
08-10-2014, 11:56 PM
I'd be surprised if you need to clean it or replace it. Ever.

LoneWolf
08-11-2014, 01:39 AM
Before I ever replaced a bolt head (if staying with the same cartridge) I would send it off for a time and true job. Match up all the mating surfaces and ensure everything is perfectly straight. Going to have better results then replacing the bolt head. Not to mention some have had worse results replacing the bolt head over running the factory.

Chrazy-Chris
08-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Before I ever replaced a bolt head (if staying with the same cartridge) I would send it off for a time and true job. Match up all the mating surfaces and ensure everything is perfectly straight. Going to have better results then replacing the bolt head. Not to mention some have had worse results replacing the bolt head over running the factory.

Thanks for the info! Who do you send yours to?

LoneWolf
08-11-2014, 11:41 AM
A lot of people go with SSS, but I think there are a few options out there.

RHM
08-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Savage has a floating bolt head; I wouldn't worry about doing anything to it besides cleaning it after use. Some gunsmith's I've had as instructors are adamant about truing fixed-head bolts (Remington, Winchester, etc), others don't worry about it. If there is that much mixed feeling when it is a fixed bolt, I wouldn't worry about a floating bolt. If you're going to pull the barrel off for any reason then I'd go ahead and square or lap the locking lugs before re-setting headspace.

dukers
08-12-2014, 12:26 PM
It may be just the picture but it looks like the carbon ring is a cut from leaking and or blown primers and the ejector hole is elongated. If either are actually the case, you may want to consider a replacement bolt head. Should you replace the head the barrel headspace will need to be checked and possibly adjusted prior to firing.
Duker

psharon97
08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
SharpShootersSupply and Stockade both do time and truing jobs.