PDA

View Full Version : first build need advise

bobcat30
04-03-2010, 05:54 PM
This is gonna be my first build have amodel 110 pre accutrigger donor gun. Its a 243 long action what i wanna do is put a barrel prefer a medium to varmit contour havent decided on length yet. was thinkin 24 to 26 inches prolly 1;8 twist 1:10 twist shootin deer antelope and varmints with it gunna get a sss trigger and prolly boyds stock pillar bedded any ideas thoughts on this bulid to help me will be appreciated as i dont wanna make dumb mistakes and waste money. Thanks

learjet
04-03-2010, 06:18 PM
get a stockade stock - period. theres really no other acceptable(for me) option for the long actions

dont skimp on bases, rings or glass. i just scoped my first long action/preaccutrigger(flat rear) savage, and fitting a 1 piece base can be a problem. apparently its a known issue, the rear flat on the action were hand ground and not held to any real tolerances. my base had .010gap at the back, and i had to lap and bed the base. if uve got these already np

all the barrel makers seem to do a great job, and northlander here may have a barrel for u in stock ready to ship.

ive never messed w the 243, so ill leave the length, twist etc to those that have

bobcat30
04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
yeah just want the best for less as im sure we all do

borg
04-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Ditto on the Stockade. They ain't the place to turn to if you are in a hurry, but the nice part is that by the time you get your stock you'll have recovered from the expense of buying it. Nice people, too. I decided within a few minutes of being on the phone with Kevin over there at Stockade that I'd be sending my money his way. The dude from Choate was a little condescending after I mispronounced the name. :-[

bobcat30
04-03-2010, 09:53 PM
what about barrel brand twist? all that fun stuff?

bobcat30
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
and kinda want a laminate boyds or stockys maybe

learjet
04-03-2010, 10:31 PM
ive got a 300wsm in a laminate stock, and it shoots as well as my synthetics...but...lots of fitting, makin pillars, and bedding involved. looks good, but i find it to be an uncomfotable nightmare to shoot. cant get a decent cheekweld. its the green one. id much rather be shootin the HS precision

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/learje/guns.jpg

gl however u go!