PDA

View Full Version : Ring in the barrel.. 111XP 30-06

xsskeet
08-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Decided to give the 111XP a good cleaning after a range trip. Used Wipe out and after inspecting the barrel, I discovered a black ring in the barrel about 1/2 inch from the muzzle. Ring is concentric and dark in color about 1/32 wide. Broke out the J-B Bore Paste and Kroil and gave it a few strokes. Still there...

Bought this gun last year and has been shooting the 1 inch mark @ 100 if I do my part with 150 Sierra pro hunters. I have about 80 rounds down the tube.

So... Anyone else seen this???

The big question... Don't worry about and shoot the crap out of it? Send it back to Savage?

And I though Thompson Center was bad on barrels... :p

BillPa
08-10-2014, 05:26 PM
The big question... Don't worry about and shoot the crap out of it?

That's what I would do. The ring is probably nothing more than a visual annoyance.

Bill

jonbearman
08-11-2014, 01:55 AM
Get it bore scoped to see what it really is and go from there.

craigsoutdoorsports
08-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Sounds like what a bulged barrel looks like. Did you purchase new or used? I'd recommend not shooting it until you can get it checked out by a qualified gunsmith. I'd hate to see you get hurt or worst.

xsskeet
08-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Rifle was purchased new. I just got off the phone with Savage. Even though it is out of their 1 year warranty, they are treating it as a warranty issue.

They have issued a call tag for pick up, so I will let it go back to them to be looked at. It may be just cosmetic, but on the other hand it may not. Looking at the groves in the rifling, there is a definite difference in appearance of the marks before and after the black ring.

We checked the outside of the barrel for a possible bulge, but none is detectable.

Who knows... We will let them sort it out.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

craigsoutdoorsports
08-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Good! Glad you are sending it back. I'll bet you get a new barrel when you get it back.

xsskeet
09-10-2014, 02:33 PM
*Quick Update*

Savage received the 111 on 8/25 and the brown truck showed up at my door this morning! 2 1/2 week turn around!!! I was expecting at least 4 weeks + some.

New barrel installed, function tested and proof fired.

Now to the range to see if the load I had worked up for the old barrel will shot out of this one.

Kudo's to Savage for the quick turn around and standing behind their product!