PDA

View Full Version : Bolt maintenance with Ultrasonic cleaner

TechHunter
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the bolt on a Savage rifle? I am not too mechanically inclined and taking the bolt appart is not something I think I would want to do if there is another way around it. I thought that if I stick it the bolt in the ultrasonic cleaner for a few cycles and then dry it in the oven and oil it I might be able to get away with it. Any pros, cons, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

George.

Blue Avenger
04-03-2010, 05:13 PM
while you can shake the crud loose, not so sure it would get shaken out of the bolt body. It may just redistribute it and dry it in to an better or worse place.

Dennis
04-18-2010, 01:51 PM
They make ultrasonic cleaners that will hold a complete rifle! They also make them for jet engine parts. I use my small cleaner for everything. I use the case cleaner for ultrasonic cleaners. Here is a web site that have the big ones, interesting site

http://www.sharpertek.com/

If the particle on the gun part or bullet case has any oxygen in it, the ultrasonic cleaner should bust it up! That's how they work! Yes, when I pull my parts out, I usually shake dry the part, then hit it with "brake cleaner spray". Then the gun oil come pretty quick as the part will start rusting immediately (if its a bare steel part).

Do a search on large ultra-sonic cleaners or riflle ultra-sonic cleaners and they will come up.

ellobo
04-18-2010, 05:15 PM
The ultrasonic will clean it very well, but as blue avenger stated, in an enclosed part like a bolt it may not eject it from the sleeve. Unless you have a source of high pressure air to blow it out I wouldnt use the lultrasonic unless it is so crudded up its useless. Lube immediately after drying if you do use it. I wouldnt use water either, use kerosene or mineral spirits. Preferably mineral spirits which you can get at any place selling paint.

El Lobo

TechHunter
04-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys, am thinking about giving it a try..perhaps I could air dry it with high pressure compressed air and then put it in the oven at 250 degrees for a few minutes. I may just give it a try.

sharpshooter
04-18-2010, 08:06 PM
If you can read instructions, chew gum and operate an ultrasonic cleaner, disassembling a bolt is a walk in the park. It is not hard as it looks, a cave man can do it. I can disassemble one in 35 seconds blindfolded. Re-assembly takes a little longer, about 50 seconds. ;D

TechHunter
04-18-2010, 09:50 PM
If you can read instructions, chew gum and operate an ultrasonic cleaner, disassembling a bolt is a walk in the park. It is not hard as it looks, a cave man can do it. I can disassemble one in 35 seconds blindfolded. Re-assembly takes a little longer, about 50 seconds. ;D

Will I have to mess with the firing pin at all? i.e. do I have to remove the firing pin assembly and reset its length?

Dennis
04-18-2010, 10:12 PM
I have cleaned many motorcycle carburator's with an ultra-sonic cleaner because there are place's no one can clean by hand, air, or spray cleaner! They work pretty good!

A friend cleaned a carburator and thought it looked spotless, but there was still a problem, something was still stopped up and the bike wouldn't run.

We seperated the bowl from the body along with other small parts on the carb. Visually there was no problem. I ran it through 3 cycle's in my ultra-sonic cleaner and it was amazing the crud that came out!!! Put it back together and back on the bike and it ran fine. Made a believer out of him!

I clean all of my brass with an ultra-sonic cleaner, and on some I have to hit the primer pocket with a brush, maybe for three seconds only if the cleaner doesn't knock the carbon out. It "will" loosen the carbon and you basically touch it with a primer pocket brush and it's almost instantly out.

I have cleaned many parts with the cleaner also. I not saying it's the perfect solution for cleaning, but it's definety worth trying first.

If I put my bolt in the cleaner, I would run it through about 3 cycles. Immediately I would shake the majority of the cleaning solution off, dry it off with a towel, spray it with brake cleaner thourghly, let it dry for a few seconds, then spray it with a good gun oil like break free or rem oil!

I know people who pull their pistols apart and clean them in ultra-sonic cleaners basiclly using the above process.

I don't know what kind of problem TechHunter is having, but if you have a cleaner, I would try it first. And yes, pulling the bolt apart is pretty easy also!

sharpshooter
04-19-2010, 12:07 AM
The firing pin assembly will NOT have to be reset,(unless you feel the need to re-adjust FP protrusion) and comes out in 1 piece. Nothing is going to jump out at you like a snake in a peanut can. Look at this for the parts.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,11527.0.html

snoog37
04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I use my ultrasonic cleaner all the time...but...I too take apart the bolt into it's main components. No need to tear down the pin or head assembly to every little piece. Otherwise I'd worry about the crud getting stuck (as already mentioned) and being able to completely dry and then completely lube every component. Taking it apart is very easy...as is the reassembly.