PDA

View Full Version : New bolt?

Rotorhead19
08-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Hey all, just trying to get some advice about bolts. I have a savage 300 WM, 110 long action I bought about 5 yrs ago. I have done a lot of work on it recently, Choate tactical stock, glass bedding, timney 2lb trigger, Harris bi pod, just dropped the hammer on an 8 x 24 Nightforce scope and a Criterion 26'' bull barrel. I plan on using this weapon for 800-1800 yd shots and am curious if changing the bolt from the factory bolt will add any advantage/ disadvantage to the shot? I know there are some bolts out there that will help reduce weight but that's not really a factor. If there is any advice as to an advantage in changing the bolt I would appreciate it if you would add a make and model for the specific bolt. Thanks to all!

bootsmcguire
08-08-2014, 09:31 PM
With the Savage system there is really no benefit to changing the bolt. Since savage uses the floating bolt head it floats to get better and more even engagement vs say a rifle with solid lugs machined into the bolt itself. Some people have argued that an aftermarket bolt head (PT&G) will help in the accuracy department, but I have yet to see any proof. Mostly the reasons for changing out bolt parts are either to repair broken parts, changing to a different configuration, going fluted to help with debris, oversized to help tighten sloppy cycling, or just the plain ol' bling factor.

JMHO and Observations.

Rotorhead19
08-08-2014, 09:52 PM
@bootsmcguire- That was my opinion as well. Thank you for the input.