PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 creedmoor vs 7mm08 in 20" barrel

Pages : 1 [2]

Wildboarem
08-09-2014, 05:05 PM
The vast majority of our hunting is done with drives after opening weekend. Which can be brutal. We take turns posting but running through swamps, woods and pucker brush like a hound really is a workout. One of.the guys in our party.carries a BSA 7rm with a 20.5" barrel the older I get the more I "Get it". That little cannon has taken more long 400yds and beyond deer and brush wolfs then I can keep count of.
If your "driving" swamps and thick brush where are you getting 400yds shots? At animals on the move?

There in lays my arguement for heavy hot rounds vs smaller high bc bullets. I just bought 200 175gr cor lokts for $32. I would pay 2 times that for anything in a 6.5 and first little branch or cattail it hits its.going go off.target long before the beefier bullets. Which will deform substantially and.stay on target longer.
How is a 175gr corelokt in 308 (2500fps) "hotter" than a 140gr CM (2600fps)?
So Hornady CM ammo is $64 now? Have you actually ever done a deflection on different ammo? Try shooting targets through tall grass and you will see that sectional density affects deflection more or less than pure mass (newtons third law?) In my experience. And hitting branches regardless is going to deflect period.

Flame on. But real world hunting results are hard to ignore. LRH is of.course much more like paper chasing and.high bc bullets like hunting vld's are world apart from sp's, ab's.

We always post people with 270's 308's where shots will be @100--150yds max. Usually youngest in our party.
So when the choice was mine I went with sporter barreled 308's for my daughter's @14 yrs old. The recoils always been just enough to keep them focused. They learned quickly and frequently practice with sessions of 30 rounds each.

Recoil keeps you focused? .270, .308 for under 150yds? I'm totally confused, see your first paragraph.

sixonetonoffun
08-09-2014, 06:15 PM
In the proper doses it can keep one focused. One rushed shot = 1 rosie cheekbone. Yes once and she hasn't done it a second time. I didn't notice all your comments till now. 80 acre field = 880 yards of open ground.
Great for posting. Driving towards open ground makes for.good shooting.
Sorry for not being specific the 175gr are for several 7mm rm's. The kids shoot 165gr Nosler pt's right about 2650. Just because we have some set aside for hunting. They plink with cheap.amax 168's @2500. Plenty of range for gophers and fast enough for turtles. Well at least mud turtles.

Klondike
08-10-2014, 03:07 AM
The long skinny 6.5 bullets are great for whitetails. My 6.5x284 has never had a deer take more than 4 steps after impact.

There is a reason the swede has killed more than its fair share of moose

Wildboarem
08-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Either cartridge can take almost all NA big game with minimal recoil. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. More factory choices with 708 though.

LHitchcox
08-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I do not own a 6.5 yet (it is next on the list), but I do have a 7-08 and it is not finicky at all to load. I shoot Nosler 120 BTs and Hornady 139 SPs and it is very accurate with several powders. I expect to have a 6.5 CM and will load it with Hornady 129 SPs or SSTs.

stomp442
08-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Just a personal experience of mine to relate just how effective the small 6.5s can be. I hunt coues deer here in Az where shots are more than likely across canyons 600-800 yards on the average. Couple years ago I was shooting my 6.5-284 at a very modest 2800fps with a 140 Amax. Last day of the hunt I finally found a small buck working his way up the next ridge over. He was about 200 yards from cresting over and there was no time to work closer. My brother ranged the oak tree he was standing under at 1243 yards. Now I practice a lot and shooting at 1000 plus is common for me and I knew I could make the shot. I made the adjustment on my scope and got a steady rest using my bipod and my pack. Long story short I shoot and the deer takes two steps and falls dead. The bullet made a complete pass through at that range and left a hole the size of a nickle on the off side. I always knew the 6.5 was effective but from then on I have had no doubt that I carry enough gun to tackle anything I would ever hunt. There is nothing wrong with a 7-08 but the 6.5s are just as effective and a bit milder to shoot. Just my two cents.