PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 Hunter XP, Bolt Hanging Up

tspence
08-07-2014, 07:30 PM
I have owned numerous savage 110's and this 111. This 111 is a 30-06. When I raise the bolt handle, not loaded, and keep the upward pressure on the bolt, when I push the bolt forward, the bolt lug catches on the upper part of the receiver. When I reduce the upper pressure on the bolt handle, the bolt will move forward and seat. The bolt hang up can be a problem for me because when I am hunting and I need a second shot, I grab the bolt with strong upward pressure and continue that pressure through the bolt closing cycle. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what was the remedy? Thanks for your help.

Hotolds442
08-07-2014, 09:13 PM
The first thing I would do is pull your bolt out and shine a flashlight up where the rearmost front scope mount screw is and make sure it doesn't protrude all the way through the action. Thn I'd look at the front stock screw and make sure it also was not protruding into the bolt race.

tspence
08-07-2014, 09:32 PM
I checked the screws and there is no problem there. The bolt is hitting the outer edge of where the lug enters the chamber. If I release upward pressure on the bolt handle and then slide the bolt forward, the bolt seats fine without hang up. Its only when you apply upward pressure on the bolt during the entire cycle. But, with this pressure, it will hang every time.

Hotolds442
08-07-2014, 09:53 PM
The lug doesn't enter the chamber. I'd say you probably have a burr in one of the bolt races. It may go away over time, or you may need to have the action tuned. Fred at SSS can make it smooth like butter for around $165. Savage may make it right under warranty.

tspence
08-07-2014, 10:27 PM
I did not explain myself right. I know the lug does not go into the chamber, but it does go into the front of the receiver before it locks to the receiver and aligns with the chamber.

Hotolds442
08-07-2014, 11:44 PM
I checked 5 of my Savage rifles, none bind up when applying pressure to the bolt in any direction. I would look for a burr or a rough spot in the bolt race.

BarrelBurner
08-08-2014, 12:00 AM
I have owned numerous savage 110's and this 111. This 111 is a 30-06. When I raise the bolt handle, not loaded, and keep the upward pressure on the bolt, when I push the bolt forward, the bolt lug catches on the upper part of the receiver. When I reduce the upper pressure on the bolt handle, the bolt will move forward and seat. The bolt hang up can be a problem for me because when I am hunting and I need a second shot, I grab the bolt with strong upward pressure and continue that pressure through the bolt closing cycle. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what was the remedy? Thanks for your help.

If you by chance have another long action you might use the bolt from another rifle and see if its a receiver issue or the bolt itself. I doubt this is your issue but I had a PTG spiral fluted bolt body giving me fits and had to hone down so it would cycle smoothly. It was binding up and of all things it was worse if you oiled it. Tight fit I suppose.

BillPa
08-08-2014, 08:16 PM
I it does go into the front of the receiver before it locks to the receiver

Just to clear things up its the rear of the receiver ring.

The normal "fix", file a slight bevel on the edge of the offending spot to guide the lug past it. But just for S&G loosen both action screws, see if it goes away.

Bill

foxx
08-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I have the exact same problem with a left handed LA. Annoying as heck.

tspence
08-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. I stand corrected, "rear of the receiver ring" and I had already backed the receiver screws out to see if this helped. No help! If I file a slight bevel on the edge of the offending spot which should fix the hang up, would this fix have any other kind of negative affect on lock up of the bolt lugs or bolt alignment?

foxx
08-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Other than the original concern, I am not sure I am following you here. If you are talking about timing issues that Fred of SSS does, I don't think so. That is another issue that is much more involved and includes machining so as to reduce bolt lift by making the cam-action more precise with specific, coordination of the parts.

I am eager to hear how you make out with this.

tspence
08-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Foxx, I was refering to your reply as well as BillPa. Sorry for the confusion.

foxx
08-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I see, action screw torque... No, I can't see how lightening the torque will have any negative affect on function. At most, bad action screw torque will cause some subtle, almost undetectable stress on the whole action causing binding that could affect accuracy, not function. If the stress was THAT bad, you'd have a pretty sloppy, downright mushy-flexible action. It couldn't be that bad, I hope.

BillPa
08-09-2014, 01:27 PM
If I file a slight bevel on the edge of the offending spot which should fix the hang up, would this fix have any other kind of negative affect on lock up of the bolt lugs or bolt alignment?

No. it only allows the lug to ride over and past the spot where its hanging up. As it is now its two square 90 degree edges contacting each other.

With that said typically its caused by the action being flexed when the screws are tightened in a ill fitting stock or the action rails being warped, why I suggested loosening the action screws to eliminate the possibility the action to stock fit was stressing the action out of shape.

A bevel isn't a fix, its a Band-Aid but it won't affect the action's function or it's safety. The "cure" is to straighten or have the action straightened.

Bill

foxx
08-09-2014, 03:00 PM
That would suck cuz m mine was bought new.

tspence
08-09-2014, 04:12 PM
I bought my 111 used from a dealer. It came with a new Hogue stock installed and I also got the old stock. This rifle looks to be new and when I bought it a couple of weeks ago I took it to the range and fired it about 10 times. No problem with firing but I wasn't in a hurry and was not putting upward pressure on the bolt through the entire cycle as I would be when hunting. I found this problem a couple of days ago when cleaning some of my rifles. A couple of hours ago, I put the old stock back on and the bolt hang up still existed, so, I put the hogue stock back on. I may try the file fix. Thanks for all your help.