PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mag plate - mag binding

Stumpy Pete
04-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a 17HMR heavy barrel with a gray (cheap) synth stock. I've been having problems inserting magazines since it was new. I thought it just needed some use to break it in. If you look at the mag well with a mag inserted (barrel pointing up) There is no gap on the left side (between mag and mag plate) but almost 1/4 inch on the right. The finish is actually scraping off the plate where the mag rubs against it when I jam it in. I also have to jiggle the empty mag to pull it out.
A dremmel to the mag plate would take care of it but it doesn't seem right.
I tried loosening plate screws to see if I could shift it over a bit but theres no room to play with.
I hope to avoid shipping back to Savage. BTW It shoots and feeds fine.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

joemax72
04-03-2010, 03:05 PM
If I remember correctly you can adjust the position of the mag. catch/release by removing the action and barrel from the stock and then loosening a screw a bit so things can be shifted into proper position. I had to do that to mine as well as monkeying around w/ the mag. release lever, bent it I think. I can't quite remember. Anyway, if you pull the action out of the stock and look it over closely I think you'll see what needs to be done. Good luck.

bbassi
04-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm noticing I'm having the same problem with my 93GL. The mag doesn't insert without some effort, and I'm also noticing that the first and sometimes the second rounds out of the mag don't want to feed smoothly. It might be two different issues but I definitely notice the Mag binding up more often than not.

Stumpy Pete
04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I ended up putting a dremmel to the inner lip of the mag plate. It solved the problem but should not have been required. When I get some cash together, I plan on getting a good stock. Hopefully that will take care of the off center mag issue.
My feeding prob only seems to be with the Hornady plastic tips. If I shoot Winchester FMJ I dont seem to have a problem.