PDA

View Full Version : 10fp problem

DanSavage
04-03-2010, 12:29 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had problem's with the free floatness on the 10fp .308. I noticed the gun shot about 1'' at 100 with 150 fusion's then I went to 180 federal pow-shock, and group's opend to1.5. Next day Ihad feelings somethig was up so I removed stock and carefully examined the barrel and with light at the right angle I could see two line's extending from about 1'' from lug to about the first swivel sud. Is it possible I over torked the action screws?

psharon97
04-03-2010, 12:47 AM
kinda doubt you overtorquered the action screws. Interresting things I've learned about shooting 308s. First is 308 doesn't really like 180gr. This is my personal experience other members here may have done better. The 150gr is my prefered weight for both my bench rifle and my carry rifle both chambered in 308.

Secondly, both rounds you mentioned are meant for hunting purposes. Not presicion shooting. Have you started load development for your rifle or is ammunition bought off store shelves your only option? If so, look into match performance ammunition.

The barrel is free floating when the barrel does not touch the stock. An easy way to rule this problem out is to take a dollar bill and slide it all the way down to the barrel nut. If it slides down and doesn't bind on anything, your barrel is already free floated.