PDA

View Full Version : Savage 114u

savagerad
08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi all, My name is Konrad, but everyone calls me Rad. I am 15 years old and am a hunter and love the outdoors.

My uncles just gave me a Savage 114 in 7mm Rem mag. The serial number is G062xxx. From what I have been able to find, it is an ultra made around 2002 or 2003. Was it consider a Classic or did that tittle come later?

We are mounting a scope and hopefully soon get to the range. My youngest uncle is going to teach me how to reload and we are going to work up a load for my 114.

I would really like to hear from 114u owners about their experiences with their rifles, and any 7mm mag load suggestions.

Hotolds442
08-05-2014, 11:53 AM
The Classic title came later, it was listed in the catalog as the Model 114U Long Action and titled the "Ultra".

jonbearman
08-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Before you start asking for loads I would suggest getting the lyman reloading manual and reading it cover to cover and a hornady reloading manual and read it too. Then when you get a suggested load you can check it against a known laboratory tested load.There are guys on every forum with custom barrels that can get away with hot loads however a factory chamber is sloppier and it may cause damage to your gun or worse,to you. I must say welcome to the forum and we will help you as much as possible to get you shooting straight,but remember SAFETY FIRST as this can be a dangerous road if safety is by passed for super hot loads. The 7mm mag is a powerful cartridge to start with and there is no need to hot rod it for any reason. You start out with loading 3 of every load in the book related to the powder and bullet your uncle suggests. Then you learn how to measure and look for pressure signs which means to back off a half grain or so.

savagerad
08-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks Jonbearman,

My uncle said to assure you that any suggested loads would be checked and double checked against published data. He says he has both manuals you mentioned and many more.

Is that a GSP pup in your avatar?

Rad