PDA

View Full Version : SAV-2 issue, need advice

Texas Solo
08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
I've had a Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger on my F/TR rifle for about 1 1/2 years. It's seen close to 1000 rounds and is set about 16oz. I've always been happy with it, but now I have an issue.
With the safety in either the full safe position, or 1/2 safe position, the the rifle will fire if I apply pressure to the trigger and then release it. It won't fire while applying pressure, but fires the instant that pressure is released. Fortunately, I check these things on my rifles frequently. I don't have a trigger gauge, but it also seems to have gotten lighter recently. I've shot two F class matches since noticing the issue, but haven't had any issues with it when the safety is in the "fire" position. I have not tried a forceful closure of the bolt too seek a slam fire.
I'm thinking that the sear engagement may need some adjusting (as in more) but would like opinions. Watching the install video supplied did not help diagnose my issue.

GaryBF
08-04-2014, 08:25 PM
The sear engagement screw has a locknut on it, however, the trigger weight screw does not. I would check there first to see if the trigger pull is too light. Also check to see if the sear engagement locknut has become loose causing the sear engagement to change. Thinking about it, my opinion is that the sear engagement will increase if the screw is loose, not decrease. Check your trigger pull weight screw.

LoneWolf
08-05-2014, 03:53 AM
when you reset it add a tiny drop of nail polish on the screws. It will keep them from loosening.

Texas Solo
08-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks Gary, I'll check them both when I have time to take it apart.
It may just be a safety engagement adjustment as well?
I did check it last night, and now it will fire with a fair amount of pressure placed on the trigger, with the safety in either of the "on" positions.
I also took the safety off and slammed the bolt down as hard as I could, it did not fire. I did this multiple times. I think that may eliminate a sear engagement problem?

BillPa
08-05-2014, 03:16 PM
the rifle will fire if I apply pressure to the trigger and then release it.

now it will fire with a fair amount of pressure placed on the trigger, with the safety in either of the "on" positions.

I also took the safety off and slammed the bolt down as hard as I could, it did not fire. I did this multiple times. I think that may eliminate a sear engagement problem?

I'm going to beat this dead plow horse again. When is the last time you cleaned that trigger?

Before twist'n and turn'n stuff buy a bottle of Ronson lighter fluid then use it to flush trigger, the sear and the safety. Work them as you're dumping it on, in and around. After you've used half the bottle do it again.

After its clean then you can make any adjustment "If" they're needed.

Bill

Texas Solo
08-05-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm going to beat this dead plow horse again. When is the last time you cleaned that trigger?

Bill

I guess I should have been more specific when I said this:

"Fortunately, I check these things on my rifles frequently."

The entire trigger mechanism was last cleaned about the 750 round mark. That was about 250 rounds ago.
Time to bury that dead plow horse Bill.

BillPa
08-05-2014, 07:48 PM
I guess I should have been more specific when I said this:

"Fortunately, I check these things on my rifles frequently."

The entire trigger mechanism was last cleaned about the 750 round mark. That was about 250 rounds ago.
Time to bury that dead plow horse Bill.

What made me abuse that poor deceased creature, why it went from a release trigger to a standard trigger in a day for no reason.

Bill

olddav
08-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Texas Solo
Have you found the problem yet?