PDA

View Full Version : Weaver rail question?

223 4 me
08-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Obviously I chose the weaver rail based on it's low cost, that said. My Stevens 200 in 30,06 is right where I want it in everyway except that like clockwork at around the 50 round count the rail gets loose, three times now. I clean the screws,holes and general area with acetone let dry and then use locktite while tightening in a alternating equal pattern but the problem remains. My question is are there any other steps I should be doing? or should I just upgrade to a egw or similar quality rail to fix this annoying problem. Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Txhillbilly
08-04-2014, 05:33 PM
I have several Weaver rails,as well as EGW,and Ken Farrell rails. None have ever came loose on any of my actions.
It sounds like you need to check your action,and make sure it is straight. Use a good straight edge,and if it isn't perfectly true,you may need to bed the rail to the action.

223 4 me
08-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanx TX, excellent suggestion, I was just watching videos on that process,thats my next step!

D.ID
08-04-2014, 11:48 PM
I have had bases come loose before and when a 0.25" rifle starts printing 2" suddenly............. it's scary!
Diagnosis was expensive, time consuming and really inconveniently timed. Ammo was waisted trying to figure out if it was scope, base, rings, ammo or barrel.
Now, every scope base I install gets bedded. Or rather bonded...........It's like bedding but without that pesky release agent. Never a hitch since :)