PDA

View Full Version : Major problem with Boyd's Tacticool

Pages : 1 [2] 3

BlueDog
08-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Tacticools do not come with pillars, although I truly wish they did. I hadn't planned on pillar bedding my Tacticool, however the wood is so soft tightening the action screws were spongy enough I pillar bedded mine. Remember, the ply used in the plain black stock is NOT the same as their colored laminates. What a shame.

foxx
08-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Can someone clarify for me, but do the Tacticool stocks come with pillars from Boyd's or does one have to install them?

I ask because if they come without, wouldn't you have to modify the stock in order to make it work?

Right.

Personally, I gotta believe that Boyds accepts that their stocks are meant to be "altered" with bedding and pillars. It's not as if one is changingit in such a way that it alters the design or engineering of the product. It's one thing for Savage to say "don't mess with our triggers" and another altogether for a stock company to say "bedding or adding pillars voids the warranty." They will stand behind their product as long as they don't think you do something to purposely split it or run through a chipper or something. For crying out loud, it's customary to bed and pillar stocks. Most shooters would say it's not finished till you do. No one would ever buy one that couldn't be "altered" that way.

pwdnt
08-07-2014, 06:32 PM
stock has been sent in will update with their answer as soon as i get it

michaelnel
08-11-2014, 07:23 AM
It's one thing for Savage to say "don't mess with our triggers" and another altogether for a stock company to say "bedding or adding pillars voids the warranty."

I have a 10FCP HS Precision. I called HSP and asked them about skim bedding the stock. They said "don't do it, and it will void your warranty if you do". The rifle shoots great, so I am going to follow their advice.

foxx
08-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Well, I am assuming too much here. I am talking wood stocks.
As for Precision, I think they gave you good advice. Fiberglass or composite stocks should not need bedding. They certainly need pillars, though, if they aren't included.

If wood stock company says their stocks should not be bedded and/or pillared, I'd say they are in the wrong business.

pwdnt
08-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Just got off of the phone with Boyd's, They are replacing the stock because it was a material failure. The explanation I was given is that the stock split directly on a glue line wich should not happen at all, so they are sending the stock to their laminate supplier because they have to investigate the cause of the failure as well. I asked if the dyed laminates are stronger or if the tacticool uses a different laminate and the answer I was given was that the only difference in the stocks is that the others are died before they are glued together otherwise the laminates are exactly the same. Overall I'm satisfied that they are going to resolve the issue and continue to take care of any issues that may arise

bignorm40
08-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Glad to hear that the outcome was in your favor

BlueDog
08-13-2014, 03:31 PM
pwdnt, glad Boyd's worked with you. ALSO glad you asked about the wood. I still think the plain "tacticool" wood seems FAR softer than their regular colored laminates...

Steelhead
08-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Been watching this thread.
Glad they are covering it.

foxx
08-13-2014, 07:52 PM
sounds like they did the right thing; they just wanted to see for themselves first. They seem to me like they are always more than fair.

Chrazy-Chris
08-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Were you torquing your action screws or just going by feel? How tight?

I pulled mine apart after reading your thread and sure enough, cracked. When was your order? I placed mine in Apr 14. Did they entertain the idea of a refund rather than a replacement? Bedding this thing sucked and I would rather just avoid laminates altogether after this experience.

Edit- Added Photos:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3921/14726597389_a6c80984c4_c.jpg
Rear Action Screw; looking at the mag well rearword

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/14726578090_9091ae09c0_c.jpg
Rear Action Screw; looking from the top down. It is cracked through the thin layer of bedding compound and in the wood.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3897/14912915432_db2bec8ec6_c.jpg
Material behind the front action screw; looking from the top/rear down towards the front action screw. This crack is not near as bad as the one on the rear action screw and it does not extend near the recoil lug recess (yet). It was fairly hard to capture, even with the macro lens on the DSLR.

pwdnt
08-14-2014, 12:42 AM
Were you torquing your action screws or just going by feel? How tight?

I pulled mine apart after reading your thread and sure enough, cracked. When was your order? I placed mine in Apr 14. Did they entertain the idea of a refund rather than a replacement? Bedding this thing sucked and I would rather just avoid laminates altogether after this experience. My order was placed on 6/23 they did offer me a refund if i did not choose to get a new stock. I had beded both the bottom metal and the reciever so I screwed it in until the screw stopped.

foxx
08-14-2014, 12:53 AM
I recently had the wood split near the rear action screw on a thumbhole stock. I assumed it was my fault because I relieved it a lot when I bedded the pillar. It actually split 2-3 times before I fully understood what was going on and eventually solved it. Basically, I relieved the wood even MORE and put folded, heavy duty brass (?) staples and some cut-short drywall screws around the damaged area and filled with Acraglass. Once I was satisfied there was no way it could crack/split again, I relieved the top of it a bit so as to bed the action with Devcon 10110. I have had no problems since. However, it was NEVER as bad as the OP's was on the front screw.

cranebird
08-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Congrats ! I'm glad they are standing behind their product. It may have helped change my mind in the future.

sixonetonoffun
08-14-2014, 09:20 AM
True that! I do think I'll reinforce my tacticool before shooting it anymore. Maybe another cross-pin in the forearm and bed a layer of fiberglassed matting in the barrel channel cutout. Seems like a lot of extra work but I'd be all bent out of shape if I didn't and the forearm splits in the poorly glued laminate.

idahoorion
08-14-2014, 01:11 PM
My new (this spring) prairie hunter split on the bridge between the trigger and mag well. I need a cross dowel glued in to fix it. right on the glue line as photo'd above.

pwdnt
08-24-2014, 06:32 AM
still waiting on the new stock will update once i have it in hand

6mmBR_Shooter
08-24-2014, 11:23 PM
I ordered one over a week ago and still haven't gotten the shipment email yet. I'll be giving it a good once over before bedding to hopefully catch any issues that may be there.

BillPa
09-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Well guys, if you want a Boyds lam ya better hurry......

Rutland Plywood Plant in Vermont Burns to the Ground Terrible news. The Rutland Plywood (http://www.rutply.com/) plant in Rutland, Vermont burned down last week. Rutland was a major supplier of laminated wood stock blanks. Now the plant is nothing but ashes. Sadly, in the aftermath of this terrible fire, we can expect shortages of laminated blanks for some types of stocks.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/09/rutland-plywood-plant-in-vermont-burns-to-the-ground/

tomme boy
09-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Seen that! Glad I ordered one last week.