PDA

View Full Version : 260 Rem Build Troubles

Pages : 1 [2]

borg
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Is it a full-size pickup? Foreign or domestic?

HuntnID
04-08-2010, 02:35 PM
HAHA Definitely domestic. I never thought that maybe my rifle's problem could be the truck I drive. Good thinking. Out of the box...I like it.

Three44s
04-09-2010, 12:27 AM
You mentioned that all the screws were tight. I'd make sure that your scope base screws are not bottoming out. They can be tight, but if they are too long .... it will give a "false tight".

You asked about cheek weld.

It can sure create a problem. After you change ring height, I'd also add to your stock even on a temporary basis to make your "weld" to suit your taste.

Your bench:

Older Chevys make much better benches than either Fords or Dodges. However, newer Chevys used as benches cause shots to veer to the left.

Three 44s

HuntnID
04-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Well I fiddled and sanded a little bit on the tang area. I'm not quite sure if that's what fixed it or if I accidentally fixed something else, but the gun is shooting 5 shots right at an inch now. I think with a little bit of experimentation it will shrink a little smaller. I'm gonna give Sierra MatchKings a shot. I've heard that bergers can be very finicky. I think I'll bed it as well and that should help it too. Thank you guys a lot for the help. Another question, how many fouling shots does it take before a barrel will settle down?

borg
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Older Chevys make much better benches than either Fords or Dodges. However, newer Chevys used as benches cause shots to veer to the left.

Where would the shooting public be without the help of men such as ourselves?

HuntnID
04-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Another question...What is diagnosis for a gun that shoots progressively further right after each shot?

rjtfroggy
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Slight pressure point somewhere on the left side of barrel, or your scope is creeping to the right. It could also be tightening of your hand on the stock making you pull slightly at the trigger.

borg
04-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Another question...What is diagnosis for a gun that shoots progressively further right after each shot?

Just shoot from the back of a new Chevy. That'll cancel it out.

mopar440
04-10-2010, 06:13 AM
i would check the scope base alot of times people check the rings but not the base check weld can play alot to do with it needs to be the same and fouler really depends on the barrel the bullet and how clean you clean it between shooting

i shoot straight from my dodge the fords seem to wonder sometime like something loose in the frontend the chevy well their usually broke down in the field and im shooting at them rounds go right through a rust old chevy

dfrosch
04-10-2010, 06:41 AM
What recoil lug did you use? Did you check how it fit to the action?

Had this issue with my first build. The screw on the recoil lug was actually taller than the slot was deep. It was only about .005" difference, but that was enough to keep it from sitting flat against the action. Got terrible groups until I took it back apart and filed the slot a little deeper.

Good luck,
Dana

HuntnID
04-10-2010, 10:58 AM
HAHA If I only had a Chevy to shoot at. I'm using the factory recoil lug. I looked at it and there was a slight contact point at the barrel nut on the left side. The barrel nut is supposed to be floated too right?