PDA

View Full Version : Safety not engaging

BluGrass
08-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I am new to the forum. Just my third post here after new member introductions and pictures of my rifle. I just purchased a used 110FP in .308. I didnt notice until I got it home (I know I know) that even when the safety is on you can still pull the trigger and it will fire. This is an older model, no Accu Trigger and a two position safety. The only thing the safety does is lock the bolt in the closed position.

My question is can this be fixed or did I get screwed because I didn't check it before I walked out the door?

Thanks in advance and please be gentle with the newb!

Josh

darkker
08-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Up top left, you can click on "Savage FAQ's". Whatever you do, don't look there or in the " Articles " under gunsmithing. Also avoid the search function at all cost!!

Failing to heed these warnings, will result in knowledge being spread. Understanding of the theory of operation, and much like "Smiling Bob" a new head full of confidence.

.... Also you will find this:
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures

BluGrass
08-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Up top left, you can click on "Savage FAQ's". Whatever you do, don't look there or in the " Articles " under gunsmithing. Also avoid the search function at all cost!!

Failing to heed these warnings, will result in knowledge being spread. Understanding of the theory of operation, and much like "Smiling Bob" a new head full of confidence.

.... Also you will find this:
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures
Unfortunately I am not a paid member and cannot access this section but thank you for the reply. Upon searching I did find several threads that I think answered my question but I just wanted to make sure. Will probably be taking my rifle to the gunsmith.

michaelnel
08-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately I am not a paid member and cannot access this section but thank you for the reply. Upon searching I did find several threads that I think answered my question but I just wanted to make sure. Will probably be taking my rifle to the gunsmith.

I think you will find becoming a paid member is quite a bit cheaper than visits to a gunsmith. ;-)

BluGrass
08-03-2014, 07:19 PM
You are probably right about that and $15 for a year is pretty cheap. Being a used rifle I would like to have a professional look it over anyway.

Skin thickening with each reply[emoji1]

BillPa
08-03-2014, 07:42 PM

This is a pre-AT trigger. It has a three position safety, safe-bolt locked, safe - bolt unlocked and fire.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2r3cxgg.jpg

The safety engagement is adjustable using a 5/64 allen wrench. Its the rearmost screw in the trigger. Turn it in about a 1/32-1/16" of a turn at time until there isn't any trigger creep in either of the two safe positions. Make it too tight, the safety will be hard to operate. It a balancing act between working and working smoothly.

When your done put a drop of nail polish on it so it can't move out of adjustment.

Bill

BluGrass
08-03-2014, 08:03 PM
This is a pre-AT trigger. It has a three position safety, safe-bolt locked, safe - bolt unlocked and fire.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2r3cxgg.jpg

The safety engagement is adjustable using a 5/64 allen wrench. Its the rearmost screw in the trigger. Turn it in about a 1/32-1/16" of a turn at time until there isn't any trigger creep in either of the two safe positions. Make it too tight, the safety will be hard to operate. It a balancing act between working and working smoothly.

When your done put a drop of nail polish on it so it can't move out of adjustment.

Bill
Thank you Bill. I believe mine only has a two position safety on and fire. Would I still have the same adjustment screws?

Josh

tammons
08-03-2014, 08:12 PM
It probably a 3 position safety that is not adjusted correctly.

BluGrass
08-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Just an update I finally adjusted the safety back to normal. It passed the bump test and also cycling the bolt aggressively. Thanks for the replies once again.

Tammons yes it was a 3 position that was not adjusted.

Josh