PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce rail too long

HoytFlinger
08-03-2014, 05:06 PM
The NF rail for my 112 is too long for medium rings and Weaver Tactical 3-15 x 50 scope. The power ring is a hair width above the rail and I cant pull the scope back any due to the rail being so long that it hits the objective bell. Very frustrating. Wonder if it would be ok if I took a dremel and cut about 1/4" off?

LoneWolf
08-04-2014, 01:41 AM
I did this on the EGW rail on my 308. I had the same issue with a SWFA 12x42. I cut it with a hack saw and sanded it smooth. Didn't even take it off the rifle.

Dennis
08-04-2014, 07:06 AM
I also have cut a few, doesn't hurt anything, doesn't even bother me now.

HoytFlinger
08-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Good to know. Thanks.

D.ID
08-04-2014, 11:54 PM
If the front of the rail protrudes forward of the action: I chop it off flush before I even consider installing it. I have even dished the front notch of the chopped off rail on occasion to provide necessary clearance. Never have figured out why the manufacturers "extend" them like they do.

HoytFlinger
08-05-2014, 01:28 PM
If the front of the rail protrudes forward of the action: I chop it off flush before I even consider installing it. I have even dished the front notch of the chopped off rail on occasion to provide necessary clearance. Never have figured out why the manufacturers "extend" them like they do.

I dont understand why they extend them either. On a side note though, I somehow idiotically boogered up the screws with JB weld. Don't know how it got in the screw threads as the screws weren't in use, but I sent Nightforce an email asking if I could purchase new screws due to my screwup and they are sending new ones out today free of charge. Now that is customer service. Big thumbs up to Nightforce.