PDA

View Full Version : PTG bolt head problem

AceRoth
08-03-2014, 01:31 AM
I bought a PPC bolt head from PTG for an old 110 BVSS action. My bolt body has a protrusion on the inside. The factory bolthead had a cutout to accommodate it but the new PTG one does not. Guessing Savage changed the bolt body design, I have the old one and PTG builds for the new one. Would have been nice if PTG had mentioned this but here we are. PTG said they would fix it for me (ie machine in a cutout) but changed their mind when I mailed them the bolt head.

So what do I do? Are the bolt bodies interchangeable? Anyone know the savage part number for the bolt body with no protrusion? Any ideas other than buying a new bolt body? Does anyone other than PTG make PPC boltheads, preferably to fit what I am guessing is the old bolt body?

Hotolds442
08-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Here are all of the long action part numbers I have snagged.....Bolt body, LH long etched & jeweled 106754 37.00
Bolt body, RH long etched & jeweled 106752 38.00
Bolt body, RH long black Savage 107983 31.00
Bolt body, LH long 104495 30.00

Not knowing how old your bolt is and what parts it's built with, it's a good guess as to whether the bolt body alone will solve your problem. None of the above will have the protrusion. If it were me, I'd file the protrusion out and be done with it. The pin will keep it from rotating. I have not seen anyone selling the old style bolt heads. Good luck!

bythebook
08-03-2014, 05:48 AM
Hotolds442 is right, I have several that I have had to file or Dremel the bump out. That was meant to be sure the bolt head was installed the right way.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Been there,done that! Grind off the bump in the bolt body. The bump was put there so the folks at Savage could only install the bolt head one way.

Spectre236
08-03-2014, 09:39 AM
+3 On grind the little bump off - I had the same problem sometime back and Sharpshooter said this was part of a Savage design gone bad and was dropped after a while - Have a good day all.

bootsmcguire
08-03-2014, 07:36 PM
+ 4. Grind and done. Done it many times.