PDA

View Full Version : Hornady problem with the 6.5 Creedmoor

homefrontsniper
08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Just thinking what is the problem with Hornadys load we don't have problems we use H 4350 44 grains with the 123 grain bullets, and 42 grains with 142 smk no pressure and seems to be the most accurate load. Thanks

Maztech89
08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
What problem is it that hornady has? Are their loads showing pressure signs in your rifle or what? I know some of their American white tail is too stout for my 25-06.

limige
08-04-2014, 09:19 PM
The newer 140 amax loads are loaded with like 43.5-44 gr of some unknown powder that is not H4350. Some people are showing pressure signs from this factory load and they run at about 2830 fps.

Im assuming this is the issue you are referring to?

darkker
08-04-2014, 10:41 PM
I got a news flash for anyone thinking that ammo has any powder you know. NO, I repeat, NO factory loads canister-grade powder. While we are at it, NO factory loads by weight either, They ALL load by volume.

Hornady, just as every other mfg, loads NON-canister grade powder. They print a load on the box that will match factory ballistics, nothing more.

When a major ammo company needs a few semis of powder, they call the powder plant with specific requirements; they don't call a surplus reseller/blender.

Also, by Hodgy's own data: your 123gr. Load is almost to book max, and your 142gr load is over book max.... Not sure who "We" are, but if you think un-calibrated cartridge brass can accurately report pressure, you are sadly mistaken. IF, and that is a huge assumption to make, IF you believe they could only follow the cartridge handbook of metals recipe for cartridge brass: tensile strength is rated @ 70,000psi. So when you notice real stretching, guess where your pressures are?

If you want to know whether or not you are running high pressure, buy a Pressure Trace. Uncalibrated brass and primers will never be as good as Highly calibrated copper crushers. In the operating pressures being discussed, crushers aren't very reliable.

limige
08-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Bottom line is they changed powder and load. The old stuff had a green sheen to it and was loaded closer to 43 gr and shot 2750.
New stuff jet black loaded heavier and shows pressure in many peoples rifles. And it doesnt group nearly as well for most people.
I and many others understand they are not using branded powder and are not loaded by weight but theres no doubt they changed their load

243LPR
08-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Wow,you can afford to shoot factory ammo?

stomp442
08-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Had buddy run into this problem a couple weeks ago. The factory loads he was using were blowing primers and splitting cases. Box said 44gr of H4350 and when we pulled a couple bullets each case was stuffed with 49gr of powder and it was not 4350. Needless to say that was a very unsafe load, ruined the ejector spring and smashed the ejector so hard that the pin on the end was actually bent and looked like a cork screw. Had to drill it out and replace it for him. I will never buy a box of ammo with hornadys name on it.

D.ID
08-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Wow,you can afford to shoot factory ammo?

+1................None of my rifles will ever taste factory fodder again.
Cost is too much, quality too low and seating depth just makes to much difference to shoot.......(whatever) they load it at. That goes for all factory ammo.

thermaler
08-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Hmmm...just bought a box of AW 300 win mag--mostly for harvesting brass--but that's an awful lot of unpredictable mystery powder to be firing in my rifle. My take on whitetail is that Hornady positions it to compete with Core Lokt. I bet the vast majority of the market is typically hunters who really don't care so much about about sub-MOA ability as much as a budget-priced game-taking bullet.

upSLIDEdown
08-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Had buddy run into this problem a couple weeks ago. The factory loads he was using were blowing primers and splitting cases. Box said 44gr of H4350 and when we pulled a couple bullets each case was stuffed with 49gr of powder and it was not 4350. Needless to say that was a very unsafe load, ruined the ejector spring and smashed the ejector so hard that the pin on the end was actually bent and looked like a cork screw. Had to drill it out and replace it for him. I will never buy a box of ammo with hornadys name on it.

This has got me nervous... I'm building a Creed right now, and had picked up two boxes of factory Hornady 140gr to shoot just to make sure everything was kosher with a factory load, break it in, zero it, etc. before I started load development. Now I'm thinking I might should just go straight to handloads...

BoilerUP
08-05-2014, 06:41 AM
I recently got two boxes of Hornady 140gr A-Max from Midway (lot 314xxx) and in a 700 Rem-Age with Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, it was *easily* sub-MOA though I do not have velocity readings. The primers were cratered a bit, but I think many 700s with a .473 bolt face do that, with no ejector swipe or sticky bolt present.

I've got 8 more boxes set for delivery today.

From reading on SnipersHide, I think 313xxx lots of 140 A-Max were the ones that experienced major pressure issues.

stomp442
08-05-2014, 09:50 AM
This has got me nervous... I'm building a Creed right now, and had picked up two boxes of factory Hornady 140gr to shoot just to make sure everything was kosher with a factory load, break it in, zero it, etc. before I started load development. Now I'm thinking I might should just go straight to handloads...

I would pull a couple to check the powder charge. If everything looked OK I would go ahead and give it shot.

homefrontsniper
08-05-2014, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=BoilerUP;274178]I recently got two boxes of Hornady 140gr A-Max from Midway (lot 314xxx) and in a 700 Rem-Age with Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, it was *easily* sub-MOA though I do not have velocity readings. The primers were cratered a bit, but I think many 700s with a .473 bolt face do that, with no ejector swipe or sticky bolt present.

I've got 8 more boxes set for delivery today.

From reading on SnipersHide, I think 313xxx lots of 140 A-Max were the ones that experienced major pressure issues.[/QUOT

What's the muzzle velocity printed on the box ?

BoilerUP
08-05-2014, 12:36 PM
The box says 2700fps with no load data on it; the Hornady website shows 2710fps from a 24" barrel.

I pulled one bullet and it had 45.0gr of powder that was most definitely not H4350 (yes I'm aware manufacturers use non-canister powder); it was a short-cut extruded powder dark in color similar to Reloader 17, that appeared to be cylindrical (ie. a tiny hole in the middle of each grain).

homefrontsniper
08-05-2014, 01:34 PM
The box says 2700fps with no load data on it; the Hornady website shows 2710fps from a 24" barrel.

I pulled one bullet and it had 45.0gr of powder that was most definitely not H4350 (yes I'm aware manufacturers use non-canister powder); it was a short-cut extruded powder dark in color similar to Reloader 17, that appeared to be cylindrical (ie. a tiny hole in the middle of each grain).

Everybody else get such good results with H 4350 you would think hornady would just use H 4350 there's. So much data in every forum 2800 feet per second quarter inch groups half inch groups out of several different rifles just don't make sense

limige
08-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Imo I would would pull the factory ammo apart and reload with a known amount of h4350. 41.5 was the published hornandy load. 42-42.5 is where many end up.

As always work up. Doesnt hurt to load 4-5 rounds to test for pressure

darkker
08-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Everybody else get such good results with H 4350 you would think hornady would just use H 4350

That would the same as: Ford needs to buy 100,000 window switches, and calling Napa with the order.