PDA

View Full Version : which carbon fiber cleaning rod ?

Pages : [1] 2

cranebird
08-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Tipton or Gunslick ? or any other I'm not aware of.Thank you in advance

earl39
08-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Tipton

dcloco
08-01-2014, 08:33 PM
NO! Even though the carbon or fiberglass rods feel smooth, they are just rough enough to cause damage to the metal.

...and...when/if you break one, hopefully not when you are pushing on the rod - carbon or fiberglass slivers are NOT fun to remove.

Buy a stainless and polish with 800/1000 grit.

cranebird
08-01-2014, 09:17 PM
NO! Even though the carbon or fiberglass rods feel smooth, they are just rough enough to cause damage to the metal.

...and...when/if you break one, hopefully not when you are pushing on the rod - carbon or fiberglass slivers are NOT fun to remove.

Buy a stainless and polish with 800/1000 grit.

Thanks Tom,I've got a stainless steel.....

cranebird
08-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Dang it Tom. You really have me thinking what to do.Maybe I should have said that I intend to also get the bore guide system with the rod brand and I use a .17 caliber jag in a .22 caliber so I can double the patch thickness so the jag and cleaning rod has less chance to come in contact with the bore ? I like Butch's triple twill patches but there are quite a difference in quality of different patch brands. There was a time when I used heavy diameter fishing line and threaded through the center of the patch and small knotted behind the patch and pulled the patch through that way instead of using a cleaning rod and never used the same piece of line twice, Mason catfish line was cheap and worked well.... I was thinking any cleaning rod can pick up loose debri and act as a sand paper, the less flexible , the more desirable and one piece so the connecting joints are eliminated from the equation. I use the nylon brush, nylon patch holder if I use one at all with the next size smaller jag....I might need help!:abnormal::crazy::der::tea:

2111 Marine
08-02-2014, 08:47 AM
i'm using a Tipton for my .308 !!!

scope eye
08-02-2014, 09:01 AM
This is what I have USA made to boot.

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_60

Dean

2111 Marine
08-02-2014, 09:27 AM

Dean

i was going to get a Dewey but found a good price on the Tipton at the time so i went with that instead , The Tipton works very well for me and i like how smooth the ball bearing handle feels when punching the barrel

chukarmandoo
08-02-2014, 11:15 AM

Dean

Thanks Dean. Been lookin for this and the Parker Hale jags.

BillPa
08-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I use a combination of Pro Shot SS, Dewey SS/coated and a few old Belding & Mull SS Rods. I don't use the coated Dewey rods with TM bore cleaner, it eats the coating!:mad:

when/if you break one,

If you break or bend a rod you need to re-evaluate your jag-patch combination. A patch-jag should be pass through a bore with light resistance, it's only job its to remove what the solvent has dissolved. In short solvent eats it, the patch removes it. Also just because the packaging says "X" bore doesn't mean they're right especially when mix and matching brands. For the most part I use Pro Shot patches but I have made jags to fit others and sometimes I'll use a 24 bore jag in a 25 bore. It all depend what fits.

Speaking of solvents, I suggest using Wipe Out and or Gunslick foaming cleaners. Although I use Butch's and TM I find myself using the foaming cleaners in the shop more often now days.

Maybe I should have said that I intend to also get the bore guide system with the rod brand and I use

Lucas bore guides are the standard ($$$) although something is generally better than nothing. The bargain basement type MTM guides are pretty much one step below worthless. The term "bore guide" is a bit misleading, its really a rod guide to keep the rod centered going in and out of the throat while the patch keeps it centered in the bore.

While were' on the subject of cleaning, anyone know this gadget is used for?
http://i59.tinypic.com/20k3cdw.jpg
I should be used as part of your cleaning regiment along with the bore-chamber.

Bill

earl39
08-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Bill my old eyes make it look like a lug recess cleaning attachment but then i am half blind crippled and crazy, just ask my wife.

BillPa
08-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Bill my old eyes make it look like a lug recess cleaning attachment but then i am half blind crippled and crazy, just ask my wife.

Earl my friend, you win a cigar. I think I can safely say 75% or more don't what it is let alone having ever used one.

I was considering the purchase of a 40XBR at a show one day at very reasonable price. The seller assured me it was well maintained, but when I stuck my pinky in the lug recess it came out with a glob of black gook hang'n on it. I passed!

Bill

Rosco
08-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Action cleaning tool kit?

cranebird
08-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I use a combination of Pro Shot SS, Dewey SS/coated and a few old Belding & Mull SS Rods. I don't use the coated Dewey rods with TM bore cleaner, it eats the coating!:mad:

If you break or bend a rod you need to re-evaluate your jag-patch combination. A patch-jag should be pass through a bore with light resistance, it's only job its to remove what the solvent has dissolved. In short solvent eats it, the patch removes it. Also just because the packaging says "X" bore doesn't mean they're right especially when mix and matching brands. For the most part I use Pro Shot patches but I have made jags to fit others and sometimes I'll use a 24 bore jag in a 25 bore. It all depend what fits.

Speaking of solvents, I suggest using Wipe Out and or Gunslick foaming cleaners. Although I use Butch's and TM I find myself using the foaming cleaners in the shop more often now days.

Lucas bore guides are the standard ($$$) although something is generally better than nothing. The bargain basement type MTM guides are pretty much one step below worthless. The term "bore guide" is a bit misleading, its really a rod guide to keep the rod centered going in and out of the throat while the patch keeps it centered in the bore.

While were' on the subject of cleaning, anyone know this gadget is used for?
http://i59.tinypic.com/20k3cdw.jpg
I should be used as part of your cleaning regiment along with the bore-chamber.

Bill

A Sinclair lug recess cleaner.......nope ,never seen one of those before but I've got a tipton branded one,it was cheaper than dirt, also was where I got it. Mix kroil half and half with your favorite bore cleaner to remove the stubborn carbon as well.I am probably going with the pro shot stainless steel cleaning stick this time but the tipton is still on my mind to try. One thing I am doing differently this time is going to a 42" length since my other cleaning stick is most likely going to come up short with the new 26" barrel/receiver, bore guide length mix which was my reason for posting this thread. I think Tipton makes a great product at a reasonable price but so does a lot of other companies. One thing with the tipton bore guide, same deal I stated with the cleaning rod length and new longer barrel, it eats up some of your cleaning rod length as well,I'd hate to see someone send a rod down and not clear the end of the barrel so measure before you get started....Thanks to those who contributed to the thread.

Ivan

cranebird
08-02-2014, 03:54 PM
No cigar for you unless Bill has plenty more to pass out but be sure to check the classifieds, Earl might want to trade his for brass or bullets......

Rosco
08-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Maybe half a cigar since the Lug Recess cleaner is part of an Action cleaning kit. :)

cranebird
08-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Dean
Did you tell them that Boots sent you ? :confused:

cranebird
08-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Maybe half a cigar since the Lug Recess cleaner is part of an Action cleaning kit. :)

somewhere I have a cigar cutter, could make that the barrel nut community cigar cutter ? Thanks for the laugh.

BillPa
08-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Its primarily used to clean the locking lug recesses, but can also be used to clean the lug races in the action. If you look close you'll see the felt is square on the ends, that's so it can get into the corners of the lug abutments and recesses.

Bill

cranebird
08-02-2014, 05:00 PM
inquiring minds want to know if he gets half a cigar or not ? :biggrin-new:Also thank you for contributing ........