PDA

View Full Version : 280 Ackley Improved anyone?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

FW Conch
05-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks Rooster and Bill. I am familiar with the pressure point and the RTV.

DrThunder88
05-12-2014, 06:58 PM
I see there's already a thread about these barrels...and it has more info on them than SPG does!

I contacted them about the twist rate, which they didn't know, but SPG customer service pointed me to Connecticut Valley Arms for more information. Based on this (http://cva.com/CVA-Product-View.php?id=419) unrelated barrel, I suspect the actual manufacturer is Bergara.

jpdown
05-12-2014, 07:30 PM
+1 Bergara would be my guess also. I don't beleive it is a A&B or Shaw barrel.

jpdown
05-12-2014, 08:33 PM
I've been trying to resist the urge for a 280 AI for several years. When I saw the first post on this barrel, I said what the heck. I ordered one to take a look. When I received the barrel and saw it was a #2 light weight contour, I decided to put it on a Savage 111 LWH action. Below is a picture of my latest build with the 280 AI barrel. To give it that classic look, I did a 120 grit AO sand-blast and air brushed the action and SS barrel with satin black bake-on Gun-Kote. I also bedded the action to free float the barrel and tang. Total rifle weight is 7 lbs, 7 oz with scope. Took it to the range this past weekend for break-in and to start load development. I gave IMR 7828 SSC and H4831 SC a try with 150 gr Ballistic Tips using Nosler 280AI load data. The thin barrel heats up quickly in 75F weather and I beleive 3-shot strings are about the limit to avoid fliers. I saw no pressure signs working up to the max load with H4831 in 0.5 gr increments. Started to see pressure signs at 62.5 gr of IMR7828. I found a promising load with both powders. But IMR 7828 shows the most potential so far. The barrel cleaned up quickly with only minor copper fouling when compared to my other Savage factory barrels. So far, I am pleased with this barrel.

Anyone with a 24" 9 twist barrel in 280AI got some powder, bullet and load advice they can share? I'm using Nosler 280 AI brass, and CCI primers. Thanks.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0016_zps3152a530.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0016_zps3152a530.jpg.html)

sixonetonoffun
05-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Jpdown thats an awesome job. Just weighed my 110 EL 7mm rm today and I thought its.9lb, 1oz decent for a carry rifle. Your 280ai comes in at the weight of my daughter's 308 Axis with rail.mounts.scope and sling. Pretty impressive indeed! Its now up to 8lbs, 6ozs in a Boyds prairie hunter which was shortened.with pachmayr 1" pad. I wonder if their Maple line would be any lighter?

Again awesome job!

Rooster 50
05-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Very nice build JP. Mine is going the total opposite with a synthetic stock that I can beat up if need be. I am curious as to what stock you used. I decided to leave the barrel SS for now but you got me thinking I may just have to coat it like yours.

The big difference for me was recoil and how much I hate it so I decided to install a Vais Brake.

jpdown
05-13-2014, 04:55 PM
It is a Savage 111 Light Weight Hunter (LWH) stock. I purchased a Savage 111 LWH new with a 20" 6.5x284 barrel. I sold the factory barrel as a new take off. I replaced the factory recoil lug with a SSS competition recoil lug, bedded the action and recoil lug. Then applied a satin black Gun-Kote finish to match everything up. Light weight rifles and recoil go hand-in-hand. So she kicks like a mule. The stock is too pretty to bang around in the woods. But I discovered the Savage LWH action will also fit a Savage LA CF stock since the bottom half dimensions of the LWH action are the same as those of a standard Savage CF action. I have a light (32 oz) Stockade Hunter LA stock to use for when I plan to bang around in the woods. It adds 8 oz of additional weight to the barreled action pictured above for a total scoped rifle weight of 7 lbs, 15 oz.

It should be noted for those condisering buying a Savage LWH action for a light weight build that the weight difference between a bare Savage LWH action and the bare Savage standard action is only about 1.5 oz. Most of the LWH rifle weight savings come from the use of composite bottom parts, a 20" FW contour barrel, and modified compact walnut stock.

Rooster 50
05-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Have you taken yours to the range yet? I am looking at Sat if it doesn't' rain all weekend.

jpdown
05-23-2014, 03:25 PM
I've got about 50 rounds down the barrel with H4831SC and IMR7828SSC, 150gr Ballistic Tips and 160gr Partitions. Worked up loads using the Nosler 280 Ackley Improved data and max loads where too hot for my rifle with Nosler 280 AI brass and CCI LR primers. I haven't found a load I am satisfied with yet. I'm wondering if I should be using a faster powder with this 23", 9-twist barrel?

scooterf79
05-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Keep us posted on your results, I've toyed with the idea of buying one but my Criterion 280AI should be here in a few weeks. Ive never loaded for it (just waiting on my barrel) but from all Ive read on the data you should be right on with powder selection. Seems like most of the hunting rifles I've seen data for were using 24in barrels.
This is a lil off topic of the thread but the Gun-kote looks really good! How much trouble is it to work with or apply?

BillPa
05-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Anyone with a 24" 9 twist barrel in 280AI got some powder, bullet and load advice they can share? I'm using Nosler 280 AI brass, and CCI primers. Thanks.

A 140, R22 and a Fed 210. Start at 60-61 grains.

Bill

jpdown
05-23-2014, 11:00 PM
The bake on gun finishes like GunKote are easy to apply if you have access to a small air compressor and cheap hobby air brush. But to get a finish that won't come off, I remove the bluing with white vinegar, clean with acetone and use a cheap Harbor Freight sand blaster and 120 grit aluminum oxide to blast the metal surface for a good foundation. Clean again with acetone. Make sure all oil is removed and don't handle with bare skin from this point forward. I tie a thin piece of hobby wire to each part and clean once more with acetone and hang to dry. Hold by the wire to air brush on coatings. I first air brush on K-Phos to prime the metal surface. Then air brush on multiple light coats of GunKote until I have complete coverage of the part. Hang in the oven and bake at the temperature and time recommended. Once it is baked on, it is not coming off unless you sand blast it off. If you are going to do just one gun, then it is more cost effective to just have it done by someone who offers the service. But I like the even, tough, durable, chemical and weather resistant finish better than bluing and ended up finishing several rifles and shotguns that were not stainless steel.

scooterf79
05-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info!...that doesnt sound bad at all, I can understand sending it off if theres only 1 gun or something like that. I really like the diy route on just about everything. I dont know that I would go this route in the near future but its a possibility down the road. I really like the bake on type finishes. I personally think the colors (camo or solid) really cap off a custom rifle.
Thanks again
Scooter

gmurray
05-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Anyone determined if these Sportman's Guide barrels have the traditional or the SAAMI chamber?

BillPa
05-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Anyone determined if these Sportman's Guide barrels have the traditional or the SAAMI chamber?

I think someone said they're the traditional (Correct :p) Improved.

Last post....http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?35146-Headspace-gauges-rent-or-buy

Rooster 50
05-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Shot some fire forming loads thru mine today. Approx 1.25 in. with some 120fr ballistic tips. Will get serious next week when I get another 20 cases fireformed. Love that vais muzzlebrake. I can follow my shot at 100 with it.

jpdown
05-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Since I bought one, I measure a piece of Nosler 280 AI brass that had been fired in my rifle. Based on the cartridge specifications shown on the Nosler load data web page, I believe it is a SAAMI chamber, not traditional.

BillPa
05-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Since I bought one, I measure a piece of Nosler 280 AI brass that had been fired in my rifle. Based on the cartridge specifications shown on the Nosler load data web page, I believe it is a SAAMI chamber, not traditional.

Yeah, you're right. I was think'n just the opposite.

Bill

scooterf79
05-24-2014, 10:12 PM
While doing my research about the different 280 AIs, I read where some said its the same, most said not etc......Maybe this is just my opinion but dont ya think SG should be giving a little more detail concerning this barrel (granted if youre putting on a barrel MOST of us have the wherewithal to make sure or at least safely check the chamber). It could be a tricky situation ya know. However, my opinion would be that its the SAAMI version. Wouldnt it have been odd to have mass produced a wildcat cartridge when theres a standard version available? Just my 2 cents......hope I at least made sense
Scooter

Rucker61
05-31-2014, 11:46 AM
What dies will work with this barrel?