PDA

View Full Version : Problem with cocking, new Model 12 LRP, 6.5 Creedmoor

Winchester59
07-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Just received a new Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. I haven't shot it yet, but when dry firing, about 1/3 of the time it will not cock or reset when the bolt is cycled. I remains in "just fired" condition, with safety & trigger locked. It then takes several cycles of the bolt to recock. Not sure what is going on, perhaps trigger is so light it is not resetting? I don't know whether to just go ahead and see what happens when I sight it in, or just send it back to Savage. I'm a long time Rem. 700 shooter & this is my first "modern" Savage. Any words of wisdom out there?

drybean
07-31-2014, 11:23 PM
Tighten the trigger adj. screw up

foxx
07-31-2014, 11:36 PM
That or the Accutrigger is set too light and is tripping while closing the bolt, but without the safety blade being pressed rearward. If that is the case, it will "lock-up" the same way as it does when the trigger is hit without pushing the blade back.

If so, increase the trigger's pull weight.

Winchester59
08-01-2014, 06:41 AM
That or the Accutrigger is set too light and is tripping while closing the bolt, but without the safety blade being pressed rearward. If that is the case, it will "lock-up" the same way as it does when the trigger is hit without pushing the blade back.

If so, increase the trigger's pull weight.

Thanks Drybean & Foxx, you've confirmed my suspicions & I'll give that a try.

bsekf
08-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Not sure about accu-trigger, but I have had that problem because the trigger did not have enough clearance between it and the trigger guard or the stock.

homefrontsniper
08-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Tighten the trigger adj. screw up

What he said!

foxx
08-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Oh, I thought Drybean was talking about the BAS. That did not make a lot of sense to me, but I wasn't going to argue. :)

I swear, sometimes I think I am a dumb-a _ _. I'll be 50 in a couple months. At the pace my mind is going I won't see 60. Or if I do, I won't remember whatever it was we were talking about!